Mower deck Why can I not get a deck belt that fits my mower????

HitmanJerry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2013 Troybilt Bronco with a 20hp Kohler engine and a 42 inch mowing deck. Model number 13wx78ks011.....I have tried 3 belts now (2 that Lowe's told me fit, and today one that is supposes to fit according to my model number) None of them are even close!!! Either too short or way too long.....Am I insane?:confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a 2013 Troybilt Bronco with a 20hp Kohler engine and a 42 inch mowing deck. Model number 13wx78ks011.....I have tried 3 belts now (2 that Lowe's told me fit, and today one that is supposes to fit according to my model number) None of them are even close!!! Either too short or way too long.....Am I insane?:confused2:

:welcome:

Insane ? expecting to get anything from Lowes that fits is grounds for certification :laughing:

What belts were you supplied with which you think did not fit ?
A lot of times some one tells me the belt that I have supplied is wrong.
The belt is right
The fitment is wrong.

Do you still have the original belt ?
Why are you replacing it ?

MTD use non standard size belts
from the link Mark provided codes out to 90 & 5/8" x1/2"

Midniteoyl

Threads

Well, the parts manual says its 91 5/8", but several places also list a 96 1/2".. I suggest you get one each and try them..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Give us a little more information concerning your problem. Did the belt break and you are trying to replace it. or did it suddenly become loose. and now the belt won't engage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Insane ? expecting to get anything from Lowes that fits is grounds for certification :laughing:

What belts were you supplied with which you think did not fit ?
A lot of times some one tells me the belt that I have supplied is wrong.
The belt is right
The fitment is wrong.

Do you still have the original belt ?
Why are you replacing it ?

MTD use non standard size belts
from the link Mark provided codes out to 90 & 5/8" x1/2"

OOOps,
Egg on face time 90 & 5 /8 x 1/2 is the drive belt
part # 954-04060C codes out to 96 & 5/8" x 1/2" according to Gates and Gates have never been wrong.
Obviously 1/8" on a 96" belt is 5/8 of SFA .
However it can make a difference to belt life, you know the 3 bears thing , too long, too short, just right.

If the belts you have been getting are that size, then you are fitting them wrong or the spring on the tension arm is in the wrong place.
The belt makes a T shape.
The V side goes into the V pulleys and the back flat side goes to the ] pulleys

Midniteoyl

Threads
Heres something that just got me (again), my ZTR broke its engine to hydros belt. Looking at the parts manual, the part is H18021, OR Dayco A39, OR 1/2" x 41". However, going to the store and picking up a 4L410 (1/2" x 41") resulted in a belt that was waayy too short. Knowing that "A" belts and "4L" belts are measured differently with "A" belts being 2" shorter, thus "A39" or 1/2"x41"(duh!), I figured I was good and the manual was correct, but then why didnt the 4L410 fit? Well, looking at the original Gizmow belt, I found that it was only 3/8" wide, not 1/2". This made it fit down into the pulleys farther which means a shorter belt. The manual was incorrect. I ended up with a 4L430 (1/2" x 43") belt that works perfectly.

So, long story short: Dont always trust the manual, dont always assume that the original is 1/2" or 5/8" as it may be an odd size (proprietary) and measure it before you go, and dont trust 'conversion' charts when dealing with OEM part numbers. Measure, measure, measure.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
MTD and all their brand names, and JD are two companies that use belts that are special length, cut angle, and width. That is part of the reason they we are always recommending OEM belts when somebody has problems.

RAPTOR

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why can I not get a deck belt that fits my mower????
MTD and all their brand names, and JD are two companies that use belts that are special length, cut angle, and width. That is part of the reason they we are always recommending OEM belts when somebody has problems.

I put a new belt (Troy Bilt OEM) on my mower deck and it seemed too long but after many tries found the spring loaded arm that holds the idler pulley was sticking and not going full travel. All I did was a little penetrating oil (WD40) on the hinge pin. The next time I have the deck off of the mower I'll clean and lubricate it properly.

possum

Threads
Sounds like they are trying to sell you the drive belts. Order the belt from troybilt, or go in with the numbers from troybilt and get your belt by looking and matching.