Scag Turf Tiger PTO/electrical problem

stevecondra

Forum Newbie
Threads
The PTO started disengaging while mowing and has progressed to the point the mower will no longer work. It blows the 20 amp fuse now whether the PTO is engaged or not. The mower is a 61" cut with a 27hp Kawasaki engine. I suspect a stator or voltage regulator issue since the battery is not recharging and the fuse is blowing. Has anyone else had this problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

There are 2 fuses, one on yellow wires & the other on red wires.
I am assuming the problem is on the red wire

The stator is not actually in the mowers circuit and even dead shorts in the stator will not blow fuses as the stator is wired into the regulator and has no power until the engine spins.
If you doubt the regulator / rectifrier, simply pull the engine plug & turn the ignition on.
If the fuse blows then find the red wire on the rectifrier, disconnect it then reconnect the engine plug, Fuse does not blow then the rectifier is toast and that would be my prime suspect.
The red wire is hot all the time so if it has shorted anywhere you will blow the fuse every time you replace it.

The other prime suspect is the ampmeter as it is always hot as well.

Unfortunately the twerp who did the Scag wiring diagram knows a lot about photoshop / illustrator and nothing about wiring diagrams.
He shares his electrical incompetence with the person who designed the wiring in the first place