Cub Cadet Drive System Oil

shadowcat

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet Tractor Model 2186 . The manual says to
use "Cub Cadet Drive System Oil" in the Transmission.
What can be used in place of Cub Cadets Drive System Oil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going back to my lecture notes the Cub Cadet fluid drive system plus lube crosses Shell Rotella-T in 15w40 or 5w40. Can't remember why both can be used, as they have different viscosities. I think it is still available at most auto parts stores.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
5w can be used in colder weather. They are both 40 weight.

packardv8

Threads
I've successfully used farm supply store hydraulic oil on a 2135 and a 2166. It comes in gallon jugs and 5-gallon pails. The most recent was a 5-gallon pail from North 40 for $29.95. It was a PITA to hold it and pour. Pour it into a clean gallon can and makes it easier to handle and easier to know when approaching the 6-qt mark. Better yet, just buy two gallon jugs.

FWIW, one of the reasons I believe the 2000-series to be hell-for-stout is the transaxle holds six quarts of fluid and my new super-zoomy Toro holds only two quarts and the Cub filter is twice as large.

jack vines

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I know that Cub drive system oil can be very pricey. 13.00 dollars a quart on E-Bay. But why in the world would you take a chance with anything else?? It would be a lot cheaper if the transmission go bad by putting the wrong oil in it. On some things its not very smart to try to save a few $'s and I believe that's one of them. You have a 5000 dollar tractor and want to save 50 dollars on oil? :confused2:

RudyP

Threads
It's $19.00/qt. on Amazon but with free shipping. Still <$120.00 for the oil is far less than my tractor. Just a thought.

Lctracker

Forum Newbie
Threads
. I would use 10w30 synthetic oil in the hydrostatic transmissions. Hydraulic oil is 10 weight oil, but these transmission do not have a cooling system other than a plastic fan and most hydrostatic transmission manufacturers require 10w30 for use in colder climates and 10w40 for hotter climates. The synthetic oils will prevent the oil from breaking down when heated up and prolong the life of transmission and intervals of fluid changing..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
. I would use 10w30 synthetic oil in the hydrostatic transmission

If the system is designed for 40 when hot and you run 30 when hot you will loose drive when you need it most like shifting snow or working soil.
Every second that it is running hot more oil will be flowing out the sides of the swash plate in place of through it and once you get a little wear there the whole system goes downhill fast.
A thinner oil can 1/2 the life span of the transmission and you are talking $ 1000 for a repair.
Trannies are even worse because they don't blow smoke or give any sign of a problem till you put your foot down & it does not move or just crawls by which time it is too late to save them.
If the oils in the first post were correct the 15W 40 would be for places where you don't move snow.