Engine Z445/w 27HP Briggs engine surge

Threads
I thought I mentioned the governor in this thread. It might have been another post.

There is a tang that the spring attaches to that you can tweak a little bit and see if that helps. Try that then get back with us and I'll Tell you more on them things....

eldowdy

Threads
I thought I mentioned the governor in this thread. It might have been another post.

There is a tang that the spring attaches to that you can tweak a little bit and see if that helps. Try that then get back with us and I'll Tell you more on them things....

I will, but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Merci,
Ed

Been There

Threads
Ed, If you have the JD Technical Manual #TM113019, or a CD on the Z445 unit. If not, you need to get one. The paper book is about $100.00 and the CD version is about $45.00. One should never own any expensive equipment such as a lawn tractor without having the technical manual on how one can makes repairs.

If you have the technical manual, there is a section on how to adjust the "governor setting" and that is the first thing you should do here... get the governor setting so the engine doesn't "pulse" or one might call it..."surging".

I would bet the governor is out of it's normal setting and causing all the problem you have listed. However, making the setting on the governor is very tricky and should be done with some experience on this, if you get it all wrong it will cause the engine RPMs to go higher than the 3500 rpm rate and blow the engine.
Of course if you send it to a JD dealer, they will spend couple days... mostly looking at the tractor and scratching their head trying to figure out what they should. In the mean time they can figure how much you need to pay for all this, which may be up to $200.00 or more.

eldowdy

Threads
Ed, If you have the JD Technical Manual #TM113019, or a CD on the Z445 unit. If not, you need to get one. The paper book is about $100.00 and the CD version is about $45.00. One should never own any expensive equipment such as a lawn tractor without having the technical manual on how one can makes repairs.

If you have the technical manual, there is a section on how to adjust the "governor setting" and that is the first thing you should do here... get the governor setting so the engine doesn't "pulse" or one might call it..."surging".

I would bet the governor is out of it's normal setting and causing all the problem you have listed. However, making the setting on the governor is very tricky and should be done with some experience on this, if you get it all wrong it will cause the engine RPMs to go higher than the 3500 rpm rate and blow the engine.
Of course if you send it to a JD dealer, they will spend couple days... mostly looking at the tractor and scratching their head trying to figure out what they should. In the mean time they can figure how much you need to pay for all this, which may be up to $200.00 or more.

I don't disagree I need the technical manual. Should I get that from the JD dealer I bought it from? Pulsing is probably a better term for the problem. Isn't the governor internal to the engine. Other than being broken. What kind of adjustments can be made? At some point I'm gonna have to check the valve clearance. It's got 385 hours on it.

Thanks for your input,

Ed

eldowdy

Threads

I should have read this a bit closer. I will be getting the TM

Thanks!

Ed

Been There

Threads
Ed, Does any of the pictures resemble your Brigg- 27 HP engine...with a governor?

There are a few YouTube videos on how to adjust a governor on a Griggs 17 HP engine. Check them out.

eldowdy

Threads
Ed, Does any of the pictures resemble your Brigg- 27 HP engine...with a governor?

There are a few YouTube videos on how to adjust a governor on a Griggs 17 HP engine. Check them out.

I'd say it looks like it!

;-)

Attachments

• DSCN2347.jpg
    DSCN2347.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 8

Been There

Threads
I'd say it looks like it!

;-)

I see from the picture of your engine where there is some trouble in the linkage and spring tension.

OK, you are going try a little "tweaking" to the carburetor-governor setting. Take your thumb and bend the rod about "10%" that is connected to the end of the governor tip. Your thumb pressure is to push (bend) the rod towards the intake where it bolted to the left side head. This shortens the stroke and eliminates the play in the spring that connects to the middle of the governor arm. You can judge what is about ten percent and there is no play in that spring to governor arm. If that doesn't work, you can bend it back to its normal (straight) shape.

Threads
Ed Like I said earlier there is a tang that attached to the GOV spring that you can adjust.

Right under your carb there is a slot with a spring attached to it. Follow that down at a 45 degree angle and look to see where it is attached.

That part is the tang I was talking about about. Behind the front Green frame.
BTW you keep your mowers very clean ~!~!

Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!

eldowdy

Threads
Ed Like I said earlier there is a tang that attached to the GOV spring that you can adjust.

Right under your carb there is a slot with a spring attached to it. Follow that down at a 45 degree angle and look to see where it is attached.

That part is the tang I was talking about about. Behind the front Green frame.
BTW you keep your mowers very clean ~!~!

Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!

I think I am going to try one more thing before I start bending linkage rods and tangs. I have been looking at several videos of various maintenance techniques on these carbs. One thing I don't recall doing, was changing the O-rings on the two jets. In fact as I recall one of them fell out (though that may not be the case. Could be faulty memory). I think I'll get those and change them out. I don't want to start tweaking anything just yet. Besides it mows just fine and runs very smoothly as long as the blades are engaged. It also runs smoothly at low idle. I should probably check to see that the governor and rod are set all the way clockwise. Anyway I need to order some parts and a technical manual!

Thanks for the help guys!

Ed