Wheel weights

SlingBlade05

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here. Just swapped a front deck mower of another brand for a Husqy mz52. We have some slight slopes and am looking for wheel weights for the drive tires to help maintain traction. Does anyone know of a source for such?
Thanks in advance from Kentucky.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Best thing to use is unsprung weight like in tractors. windshield washer fluid winter style. it wont freeze and is much easier on your hydros.

ingigo

Threads
I agree filling them with liquid that does not freeze is the best bet. Local farmer says to use spring water. JOKE! But a man actually did that with the radiators of his farm equipment!:confused2:

I just wanted to add that the type of tire, tire pressure and tread matters significantly also. Lower psi in the rear tires can help, but not much lower than the max psi. Most mowers come with Carlisle tires, usually Turf Saver or Turf Master tires. In my experience going up steep hills, the Turf savers can have a lot of weight on them and still slip. In a previous mower I actually spent a significant amount of money just to buy 4 Turf Master tires. Wheel weights were not an option there , but they improved traction on hills 3-fold. No matter how I weight the rear tires now, I always use the Turf Master tires. There are also more aggressive tires that work great but can really rip your lawn up.

dcgrazier

Threads
I have a MZ 52 LE mower. I also had a problem with wheel spin and thought wheel weights would solve the problem. The problem occurred when mowing around landscape objects such as small diameter mulch beds around tree trunks. I had to swing the mower deck against the bed and back up to cut the grass. If you try to go forward and follow the bed, the left rear wheel would start running on the bed. Anyway, I talked to my dealer about my problem and asked about adding weights. He said he could get me weights, but he had another solution to the problem, Carlisle AT 101 tires mounted on wheels. The tires were 2 inches larger and 2 inches wider. The price for the tires and wheels were only a few dollars more than the price for the weights and I would still have additional expenses to get mounts for the weights. He also told me that if I did not like the AT 101's, he would buy them back. I agreed to the deal and I am glad I did. The wheel spin has been greatly reduced. I can tear up grass if I lock a wheel and do a zero turn. I have learned to do what I call a modified "Z" turn. I turn part of the way and then back up to complete the turn. This way I keep all wheels turning and do not tear up grass. These tires also work well on hills. I have better control and traction. Here are 2 pictures to show the different tires.

05232016 117.jpg05232016 121.jpg
I also had to adjust the mower deck due to the larger diameter wheels. I did this without difficulty. If you are interested, I will be happy to share with you what I did.

ingigo

Threads
the Dixie chopper tires! The "ag-Pattern is superior". It will rip turf up, but you sound like you could drive any tractor. It is hard to find people with a degree in "common sense" though. those tires with stop on a dime also!! nice choice.

Midniteoyl

Threads
I have a MZ 52 LE mower. I also had a problem with wheel spin and thought wheel weights would solve the problem. The problem occurred when mowing around landscape objects such as small diameter mulch beds around tree trunks. I had to swing the mower deck against the bed and back up to cut the grass. If you try to go forward and follow the bed, the left rear wheel would start running on the bed. Anyway, I talked to my dealer about my problem and asked about adding weights. He said he could get me weights, but he had another solution to the problem, Carlisle AT 101 tires mounted on wheels. The tires were 2 inches larger and 2 inches wider. The price for the tires and wheels were only a few dollars more than the price for the weights and I would still have additional expenses to get mounts for the weights. He also told me that if I did not like the AT 101's, he would buy them back. I agreed to the deal and I am glad I did. The wheel spin has been greatly reduced. I can tear up grass if I lock a wheel and do a zero turn. I have learned to do what I call a modified "Z" turn. I turn part of the way and then back up to complete the turn. This way I keep all wheels turning and do not tear up grass. These tires also work well on hills. I have better control and traction. Here are 2 pictures to show the different tires.

View attachment 28993View attachment 28994
I also had to adjust the mower deck due to the larger diameter wheels. I did this without difficulty. If you are interested, I will be happy to share with you what I did.

Yep, have the Ag type tires on mine as well.. Really like to grip, especially on hills and wet grass..

the Dixie chopper tires! The "ag-Pattern is superior". It will rip turf up, but you sound like you could drive any tractor. It is hard to find people with a degree in "common sense" though. those tires with stop on a dime also!! nice choice.

The leave just as big of divot as any tire if you let them. Every tire will. Otherwise they dont 'rip up the turf' at all..