Hustler Raptor SD Discharge Trouble

akcooper9

Threads
That's the first thing I thought of even before I bought it, because when I looked at the discharge, I wondered why they didn't leave it completely open. I even questioned the dealer on whether they had any complaints on the discharge clogging, and he said out of the thirty + he sold, he could remember only one that complained. I thought maybe it had something to do with air flow plus I hated the idea of having to take my cutting torch to a brand new mower to make it work. I guess maybe I'll have to cut the deck opening if the dealer doesn't resolve it. I was looking for a mower that would cut the grass with no trouble if for some reason (weather or work) I didn't get it cut when it should have and it got a little tall or thick or was still a little damp. So far, this Hustler is not the answer, and is actually the worse of any brands I've previously used for clogging and grass hanging up underneath the deck. I doubt that the dealer will be able to come up with any answers either, but who knows. Maybe I'll have to try the Gator blades.

The gator blade and the removal of the triangle piece in the deck discharge opening will fix the clogging issues.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showt...y-raptor-sd-54?p=212509&viewfull=1#post212509

E8yTSqh.jpg

akcooper9

Threads
The mower slows down to much going up steep hills. I drives whine. A lot of times when turning the side that should be going in reverse will stop moving. I am betting it is not the drives them self but the drive belt set up is letting the belt slip.

I never experience these issues on my mower with 2800 drives.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I never experience these issues on my mower with 2800 drives.
And what mower do you have?
I have a cub with the 2800 drives and they work fine. That's why I said i bet it is the drive belt set up. Many have complained about this.

akcooper9

Threads
And what mower do you have?
I have a cub with the 2800 drives and they work fine. That's why I said i bet it is the drive belt set up. Many have complained about this.

Raptor SD 54

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Raptor SD 54

How big is your yard?
Flat- hills?

I used one for two weeks and was not happy with it at all. The cut quality was poor. Did not stick hills at all.
Put 70 hours on it and the deck belt came off twice.
I find that most people that buy this mower Is the first ztr they have used.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would anyone buy a new mower knowing you need to customize it to fit your needs?
Why not just buy a mower that is ready to go?

akcooper9

Threads
How big is your yard?
Flat- hills?

I used one for two weeks and was not happy with it at all. The cut quality was poor. Did not stick hills at all.
Put 70 hours on it and the deck belt came off twice.
I find that most people that buy this mower Is the first ztr they have used.

Yard is 2 acres of coastal Bermuda pastor grass. Ive got 80 trouble free hours over 2.5 season of mowing. But then again, Im not trying to use it for commercial use either.

akcooper9

Threads
Why would anyone buy a new mower knowing you need to customize it to fit your needs?
Why not just buy a mower that is ready to go?

Really you've never bought something and then 'customized it to fit your needs'....:thumbdown:

I.E. bought a house--> painted a room a difference color. Bought a car put new tires on it. List of examples goes on and on.

Just to keep the conversation in check, I did not change my blades or cut the deck opening for the first year and half. I used it stock and smiled every time I turned the key :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Really you've never bought something and then 'customized it to fit your needs'....:thumbdown: I.E. bought a house--> painted a room a difference color. Bought a car put new tires on it. List of examples goes on and on. Just to keep the conversation in check, I did not change my blades or cut the deck opening for the first year and half. I used it stock and smiled every time I turned the key :smile:

Painting a room is not the same as cutting the deck on a mower.
I buy a mower that will do everything I need it to do. Without me having to cut on it or change parts.
My every day mower is 5 years old with over 2000 hours on it. I have never had to scrape the grass off the deck. And I do mow in the rain. Why because I bought a mower that I knew the grass would not clog up under the deck.
I knew the drives would last. And the brackets for the drive would not break.
And $800 less then the SD.
When I buy a new mower this year I will not stay with toro. They changed things and now don't fit my needs. This year will be a bad boy.

LeakyGasket

Threads
I have a friend that has a John Deere Lawn tractor down the street. I asked him one day why a JD. He said My grandpa and dad have always bought them so I did too. I asked did you compare it to any other mower. His answer was no.

Lead around by the nose. Sheep mentality. Maybe more like lemmings mentality.

A friend, huh?