Hustler Raptor SD Discharge Trouble

BoylermanCT

Threads
Yesterday I cut my deflector chute way back on my RSD, and this made a huge difference in my deck clogging problems. I don't have a clogging problem with my lawn, but my 2 acre field out back has grass that seems to hold more moisture and grows more than lawn grass, so even when it has not rained in 3-4 days and the lawn is completely dry, the grass in the field is very lush. My lawn grew 2 inches last week, and the field grew 4-5 inches. I mow both weekly, with the lawn set at 3.5 inches and the field at 4.

I have cut back the chute on all of the mowers I have owned. If you notice most pro's, they remove the chute altogether. Can't do this with the RSD since it is a top opening. I cut it back to 2" beyond the edge of the deck. Threw the grass 2-3 rows way which is 10-12 feet. So yes, I have to pay attention when I am mowing by the road, buildings etc, as the potential for throwing a rock is there, but I always make sure the discharge is pointed away from anything that can be damaged. But the difference in throw distance and the elimination of clogging was significant.

turboawd

Threads
The gator blade and the removal of the triangle piece in the deck discharge opening will fix the clogging issues.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showt...y-raptor-sd-54?p=212509&viewfull=1#post212509

E8yTSqh.jpg

looks like hustler updated the sd model a bit, and now calls it the sdx.
one thing they fixed is the deck discharge. time to modify mine!

aYIW2uMl.jpg

video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8rQM_HJ_o

Stingray69

Threads
Looks like it would be easy to weld up a stiffing bracket paint it and bolt it in place. This would add structure so the bottom piece could be cut out. It would also allow a retrofit without welding directly to the deck and burning the original paint.

Even though mine has never clogged I might do this to help with more even clipping distribution (clumping). I have greatly minimized it by raising the front of the deck 1/4" adding gator blades and putting a bolt and fender washer to prop the chute up a bit.

577jersey

Threads
I was thinking to cut mine all the way to the end of the deck wide open.All you need to use is a piece of angle iron for a bracket.More than likely,the deck is going to bend in on the bottom not the top,so you should be fine with no bracket at all IMO.

So if anything,i would focus on welding a piece of 1/2"stock to the bottom front edge :)

BoylermanCT

Threads
Had my first mowing of the season this week. Deck clogged completely once and almost clogged 2-3 more times. I was mowing damp, thick, tall grass out in my field. So I got out the grinder and cut out the triangle on the deck. We'll see if that solves the problem.

What would be the issue of cutting out the bar across the discharge chute? Is it that if you hit something solid, you could bend the deck wall into the blades? Seems like a remote possibility if you are always mowing your own lawn, and are familiar with the land. I don't think I have ever hit the deck hard enough to bend it.

The new Raptor SDX seems to have all of the things I added to my SD when I bought it last year plus it has the open deck. What does it go for?

577jersey

Threads
Its still gonna drop clumps because the grass gets hung up at the end of the cut out...I cut the bottom bar off and cut the opening all the way back to the baffle,then I bent the baffle back some using a hammer.Works better but still not 100% clump free.I did not get any clogging since i removed the triangle,but still clumps.

Cutting the bar off the bottom did not make a huge difference for me,It was there just to keep things off the blade and for a little strength.As long as you are careful when cutting you should not have a problem with bending the deck.

The only parts I bent so far where the anti scalp wheel brackets,I put my wheels on the bottom hole cause the top hole does not do anything.I added a small piece of steel to them and bigger washers so they should not bend on roots any more during turns.

I noticed the clumping is a little less if you leave the chute down,the clumps come off the deck and the plastic chute drags them a bit across the ground and breaks them up.
If you have the chute bungeed open the clumps just drop out and you have to blow them with a blower to break em up.

The SDX is still going to drop clumps with that opening,the only way to solve it 100% is to cut the opening all the way back to the end of the deck,but like i said the baffle is there so that has to be cut some and re weld it.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Thanks Jersey. BTW, I like your Youtube videos. The striping one with the drone is real nice. Really nice yard!

If I cut the bar across the deck opening, do I cut it where the yellow marks are on the pic below? I already removed the triangle in red. I'm going to mow a few times and see how the removed triangle changes things before considering doing major surgery on the deck.

RSD Deck.png

577jersey

Threads
Yes sir,that’s correct,cut it right there where you have it marked,you will see the baffle on the inside is in the way if you go back any farther.
I cut mine back a few inches farther,I didn’t want to go all the way back because if you do then you have to do a small amount of fab to reinforce the baffle.
Not a huge deal but I just wasn’t in the mood yet :)

Glad you like the vids bro :)

BoylermanCT

Threads
Mowed the field yesterday, and it was nice and thick. Deck did not clog or get build up since I removed the triangle from the discharge chute. Very pleased with the way it throws and disperses. I wonder why Hustler has the triangle blocking the discharge? Using high lift blades, and the clippings shoot out 10 feet or so with no clumping. So for now, I won't cut off the bar across the discharge opening.

Rear tire has a leak in it. I can pump it up and mow for an hour, but by the next day the tire is completely flat. Must have picked up a nail or something. Took the rear wheel off and will fill up the kiddie pool tomorrow to find the leak and then take it to the local tire shop. Hopefully they can plug a mower tire.

Local Hustler dealer is having a free pancake breakfast tomorrow. Tempted to stop by, get breakfast and talk to them about the new SDX. Maybe even consider upgrading to the 60" Fastrak. Wonder what the trade in value is on my RSD with 30 hours. I'm sure I can't afford it!