Lawn Mower won't stay started

Gnsgrashus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt self-propelled 21" walk behind lawn mower (model #12A-446A711). It has a priming bulb which appears to be in good repair. It was purshased new, used several times, and then stored for 1.5-2 years. The priming bulb pulls air. But does not pull gas into the chamber. I emptied the gas, changed the oil, and tried to cut my lawn. If I pour a little gas into the carb, the mower will start. It runs for a second or two, then stops. I installed a new filter and a new main fuel line. I changed the spark plug and tried it again but same thing. Any ideas? Thank you. (It has a Briggs and Stratton motor)

Last edited:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Troy-Bilt Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say that the carb is gummed up with old gas and varnish.

Gnsgrashus

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carb had a lot of caked white powder. When I tried to clean it, there was a lot of pitting and the float was stuck. I replaced the caburetor with a new one (gasket too). Same result. Mower starts after priming, runs 5-10 seconds, then stops.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a can of starter fluid... See if it will keep running with starter fluid. OR see if it will continue running if you keep pushing the primer bulb... :smile:KennyV

wertik

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with my troy-bilt mower. Have cleaned carb, new air filter, new plug, new oil, new fuel lines, new bowl gasket. No improvement. If it sits for a couple of days, it will run for about a minute and stop like it is running out of gas. then you can prime it and it will start and then cut off again. This is so frustrating. It will keep running barely if you prime the bulb when you get it started.