Hustler Sport 48 with Honda GXV530 bogs down

BillVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently acquired a used Hustler Sport 48" with a Honda GXV530, 17 HP engine. It runs well, but it also was used heavily as the previous owner used it commercially. It bogs down and lacks power, and if the grass is remotely tall or even slightly damp it really can't be used, or one must go over the area multiple times and leave the grass cut high. It also clumps substantially, and grass sticks to the underside of the deck badly.

We have clay soil, so always mowing on a very dry lawn is not realistic here in VT.

I have two questions, if anyone can offer advice: (1) can one recommend blades that will help with grass not sticking so much to the underside of the deck? (2) will switching to a thinner synthetic oil boost the power output at all? (My Hustler dealer recommends Kawasaki SAE-30 for this engine, so that is what I am using).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

The usual reason it bogs down under load is a failure of the govenor or the engine is running on one cylinder.

kraky

Threads
This is going to sound crazy but is it possible somebody has the blades on upside down.?

BillVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips. Blades are on properly, and the engine starts right up and seems to run well. Just seems underpowered for this Hustler, and I'm not sure what to make of the grass sticking and buildup underneath. Using the standard blades for this unit. Wondering if a different style of blade...such as high-lift, or even mulching...would help...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try running on one cylinder then running on the other.
I have a Vanguard in the shed with only 1 conrod.
No evidence it was ever pulled apart.
Owner thought it was a bit gutless.
It had been serviced by a glass front mower chain store since new.
Just make sure you earth out the other plug when doing the test.

BillVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Easy enough test to try. But I would think the engine would run rough or something if one cylinder wasn't working, no? Or one would smell gas or see black smoke?

Have no idea how to check the governor, though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If one side is not sparking it will suck the fuel in and then blow the fuel out so no smoke.
Black smoke comes when too much fuel is being burned.

The cheap & nasty test is to move the govenor by hand.
If you push it or pull it when yoou take your fnger off it should go back t the position it was in before you started,
Get some one to engage the blades while you watch the carb.
When the blades engage, then engine should slow down then you should see the throttle open up as the engine slows then close back down again.
If it is working exactly correctly when it cloes back down it should be open just a little bit more to maintain the same revs.

BillVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips. Both cylinders seem to be firing OK.

Any chance you have the maintenance manual for the GXV530 in electronic form, or know where I can get one for free? The owner's manual doesn't say much as far as maintenance or tune-up goes, and I'm not entirely sure how the governor is set up. The previous owner used it commercially and it has a lot of hours on it. I bet the valves also need adjustment.

If one side is not sparking it will suck the fuel in and then blow the fuel out so no smoke.
Black smoke comes when too much fuel is being burned.

The cheap & nasty test is to move the govenor by hand.
If you push it or pull it when yoou take your fnger off it should go back t the position it was in before you started,
Get some one to engage the blades while you watch the carb.
When the blades engage, then engine should slow down then you should see the throttle open up as the engine slows then close back down again.
If it is working exactly correctly when it cloes back down it should be open just a little bit more to maintain the same revs.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Does it run good without the blades engaged? You might want to also check your deck spindles, pulley bearings, and PTO clutch.

neetan

Threads
This is what I would look at!
1) Is the engine putting out the power when Need? ~ I could be a) belt slipping~ is the spindle clean/do we have an OEM belt/is the tension correct/by chance is it on wrong?
2) Could the load be increased due to some reason? ~ Spindle bearing going or gone/shaft bent/spindle bent now causing extra stress/belt on wrong and then the two blades working against each other/is it an OEM belt/tension on the belt?
3) Check the fuel/air filter~ just not getting the volume it needs under load?
4) "Wondering if a different style of blade...such as high-lift, or even mulching...would help..." ~ Blades are cheap, try a set! Follow the marking on blades "This side towards Grass"
5) "will switching to a thinner synthetic oil boost the power output at all" ~ please Check the Manual for Honda on what you are allowed to use! But yes on my old JD it gave me good 20% increase in power and a lot less heat, I did go full Synthetic.
6) So you have the blade speed? I do not know how to check that! Ho yes are the blades Sharp? Just checking....LOL

Please do only take all above as just a Suggestion, and take it as "If this is me, what I would look at?" On the sticking grass, Scrape out the deck and then spray/paint the deck with old used oil works for me.

Good luck, I hope something helps. :thumbsup: