Hustler Sport 48 with Honda GXV530 bogs down

BillVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good suggestions to look at. Seems to run good not under load. The spindles and idler pulleys are a bit loud due to extensive use, but no real "rough spots", from what I can tell (I removed and adjusted the belt to check).

It will stall immediately if the clutch is engaged and the throttle is not at about medium or higher. (I did have to replace one of the plastic idler pulleys, which had sheared off a guide rail). Local Hustler dealer told me he had seen that before. Belt decent and not slipping. Probably could use replacing the other two the idler pulleys, and will eventually do that. Replacing the spindles is not really an option due to the expense.

Will check to see if any of the spindles are bent when I replace the blades. I suppose that could be possible, and I never thought to check that. It fell out of the previous owner's trailer once, and two of the anti-scalping wheels are bent.

This is what I would look at!
1) Is the engine putting out the power when Need? ~ I could be a) belt slipping~ is the spindle clean/do we have an OEM belt/is the tension correct/by chance is it on wrong?
2) Could the load be increased due to some reason? ~ Spindle bearing going or gone/shaft bent/spindle bent now causing extra stress/belt on wrong and then the two blades working against each other/is it an OEM belt/tension on the belt?
3) Check the fuel/air filter~ just not getting the volume it needs under load?
4) "Wondering if a different style of blade...such as high-lift, or even mulching...would help..." ~ Blades are cheap, try a set! Follow the marking on blades "This side towards Grass"
5) "will switching to a thinner synthetic oil boost the power output at all" ~ please Check the Manual for Honda on what you are allowed to use! But yes on my old JD it gave me good 20% increase in power and a lot less heat, I did go full Synthetic.
6) So you have the blade speed? I do not know how to check that! Ho yes are the blades Sharp? Just checking....LOL

Please do only take all above as just a Suggestion, and take it as "If this is me, what I would look at?" On the sticking grass, Scrape out the deck and then spray/paint the deck with old used oil works for me.

Good luck, I hope something helps. :thumbsup:

Midniteoyl

Threads
Depending on which spindles you have, should be real easy to replace the bearings. I believe its just a snap ring or 2.

BillVT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good to know. Thanks. My parts manual only shows these spindles as a complete assembly (Hustler part 601804), and they are a little pricey.

I know that the bearings can't be removed from the idler pulleys, as I was hoping I could put the smooth and good bearing from the shredded pulley into one of the others that is noisy...but no way to do it. The plastic is formed around them.

Will look at the spindles closer and check them out.

Depending on which spindles you have, should be real easy to replace the bearings. I believe its just a snap ring or 2.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Good to know. Thanks. My parts manual only shows these spindles as a complete assembly (Hustler part 601804), and they are a little pricey.

I know that the bearings can't be removed from the idler pulleys, as I was hoping I could put the smooth and good bearing from the shredded pulley into one of the others that is noisy...but no way to do it. The plastic is formed around them.

Will look at the spindles closer and check them out.

Should look like this:

BIGDOG_601804.jpg

Which is pretty much the same as mine where the spindle shaft was just press fit, not even snap rings, unlike the aftermarket which does.

285-181C.jpg