Husqvarna YTH20K46 Engine Swap

darrinster

Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTH20K46 with a blown 20HP Kohler Courage SV600s. I want to put a 16HP Briggs Twin Vanguard on it. I don't if it will work cause the wiring connector is different.

Current Kohler Courage SV600s to a Briggs Twin Vanguard Model: 303777-0333-03

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most important thing is the shaft. It needs to be the same size both diameter and length.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Both engines have the same componants so there will be no real problems.
You have a couple of options
1) cut both plugs off, buy a connector plug from an auto store and fit it to the wires
2) get some terminals and some jumper wires then run them between the two plugs and wrap it tight in LOOM TAPE not insulating tape
Or variations of the above I have seen all sorts of things done.

I prefer the jumper method mysef as it allows you to go back.

Rather than go insane trying to work out why the almost correct wiring diagram does not seem t fit.
Take the cover off both engines
Both will have a single wire from the reguator to the batery ( usually fitted to the hot side of the solenoid )
Both will have a single wire that goes to both ignition coils kill wire
The only difference will be Vanguards usually have both a + & = wire to the fuel solenoid and Kohler only have a + and use the engine ground.

mark the engine side of the plug with where each wire goes to then fit the engine wires into the corrosponding position inthe plug.

darrinster

Threads
:welcome:

Both engines have the same componants so there will be no real problems.
You have a couple of options
1) cut both plugs off, buy a connector plug from an auto store and fit it to the wires
2) get some terminals and some jumper wires then run them between the two plugs and wrap it tight in LOOM TAPE not insulating tape
Or variations of the above I have seen all sorts of things done.

I prefer the jumper method mysef as it allows you to go back.

Rather than go insane trying to work out why the almost correct wiring diagram does not seem t fit.
Take the cover off both engines
Both will have a single wire from the reguator to the batery ( usually fitted to the hot side of the solenoid )
Both will have a single wire that goes to both ignition coils kill wire
The only difference will be Vanguards usually have both a + & = wire to the fuel solenoid and Kohler only have a + and use the engine ground.

mark the engine side of the plug with where each wire goes to then fit the engine wires into the corrosponding position inthe plug.

Really helpful information. I'll start tomorrow and let you know what happens. Love this forum.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please try to avoid cutting both plugs off and joining the wires together, you will reget it latter on.

And very impoetant , trebble check that no power under any circumstances is applied to the magneto kill wires or you will burn up the modules and they are really expensive for Vanguards

darrinster

Threads
Finally got some time to work on this.

I want to cut the plug off the Kohler engine and possibly try and use it for the briggs. The wiring is confusing me a little.

The grey wire on the briggs goes to the solenoid. The red wire goes in the electronic thing (sorry don't know correct term) and then two yellow wires leave out of that and go under the flywheel. The kill wires from coil's lead to a single clip on the mower housing.

Here are some pictures. Briggs Wiring 0619161155-00.jpg Kohler wiring 0619161208-00.jpg0619161242-00.jpg

The purple and orange wires go into a electronic thing and two exit and go under the flywheel.

Question: Do I join the purple and orange wires on the Kohler and connect them to the single red wire on the briggs?

Attachments

• 0619161206-00.jpg
    0619161206-00.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 0619161207-00.jpg
    0619161207-00.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0619161207-01.jpg
    0619161207-01.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The elecrtic thingy is the rectifier,
The 2 wires going into the engine are the AC feed from the alternator to the rectifier
The middle wire from the rectifier gets connected to the other middle wire from the rectifier
So red joins to purple
In both case white should go to white which should be the ignition kill wire and go directly to the ignition coils which hopefully ony have 1 ( small ) wire attached.
If the ignition coils have several wires connected to them then they are a little more complicated to hook up
Remove the engine cover and check.

darrinster

Threads
The elecrtic thingy is the rectifier,
The 2 wires going into the engine are the AC feed from the alternator to the rectifier
The middle wire from the rectifier gets connected to the other middle wire from the rectifier
So red joins to purple
In both case white should go to white which should be the ignition kill wire and go directly to the ignition coils which hopefully ony have 1 ( small ) wire attached.
If the ignition coils have several wires connected to them then they are a little more complicated to hook up
Remove the engine cover and check.

I figured out the fuel solenoid wire, and kill wire. Just wasn't sure about the rectifier. Going to try and work on it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remember the Red & Purple wires are both + 12 V
In both cases the rectifier has to be grounded through the mounting bolt or it will not work.
I like to run a patch cable from the base of the bolt on those square B & S rectifiers back to the earth strap from the battery.
It is a bit belt & braces approach but with old engines the grounding tends to be problematic.
On the Kohler rectfiers I run an earth strap to both mounting bolts a.d I think the Kohler set up is a lot better,

darrinster

Threads
I got the charging system working. All I need now is a choke cable. I've mowed with it a few times now and it does really good.

Few pictures: 0629161637-00.jpg0629161637-01.jpg0629161637-02.jpg