Looking at Fastrak, Fastrak SD or SDX

mhavanti

Threads
I understand the wheel base, the additional weight all contributes to tire load which of course contributes to traction and/or loss thereof. Remember that weight to: tire width, power delivered to tire, ground temperature, dew, dry, even or uneven surfaces, tire's rubber compounds, tread design, tire pressures and there are other factors involved.

Heavier isn't always better for traction. If you consider a 1150 pound machine is sitting on a pair of 12 inch wide tires presents almost twice the weight to contact ratio. It can ruin a lawn if a heavy mower is on the property right after a heavy rain, or if there are chronically wet spots, or where one fairly steep incline meets another the heavier unit will generally leave ruts and scalps and or "crop circles" in the lawn where a lighter unit may not due to less weight per square inch on the tire's contact surfaces and thus the ground surface.

Also consider a Raptor SD60, a Fastrack SD60 and a Super Z60 all have twelve inch wide tires that are actually approximately 11 inches wide. The heights or diameters of the tires do vary in all three due to diameters. RSD is 20 inches, FT is 22 and SZ is 24 inches. If we're speaking to doing wheel stands, the larger diameter gives a 75.3984 (approximate) roll out, where the RSD 20 inch tire is only going to give you a 62.832 (approximate) will help in maintaining a wheel stand if on a solid, dry surface. It will also help maintain top speed depending upon power to the transmissions and if they are of a lower (higher numerical) gear ratio thru the hydraulic system. We are not speaking of hard surfaces unless we're mowing dirt or rock. (I know, at some point, we all get to mow some rock) And we're not talking wheel stands.

If any of the scenarios I've mentioned above or those a couple of you have mentioned, the lighter unit sitting on the same width tire can launch faster and can shut down more rapidly as far as tire traction goes. However, the extra weight on a flat surface should stop you more quickly simply because the double weight of the Z requires propulsion to make it move, thus the extra weight will slow and stop it in the opposite mode.

The Little Red Wagon Competition Sled Puller is a prime example. This truck was the little engine that could. It made 100 percent sled pulls while doing an exhibition wheel stand and on a drag slick with paddles glued to them. Yes, I re-purposed all the drag slicks off the drag race trucks and cars. The larger, multi engine trucks and tractors did not always make full pulls. Now you're questioning how I managed to pull this off. No, not trickery, tom-foolery or even magic unless engineering is now magic.

I simply put a pair of titanium 10 inch square "wheel stand" sled pads that allowed the vehicle to pop up to a full wheel stand and had to unload 65% of the truck's gross weight at the same time managing the attack attitude of truck. There were calculations figuring how much weight would remain on the truck connection and how much weight was redistributed to those tiny little titanium "skid plates".

Again, lets all get together, put a RSD60, FT60 and a Z60 together, which is really easy because those are all on my block and lets not forget there is one X60. Well, all of them are FT42, X54 and two Z54s. I think I could get the county provide us with the mud pit for the mud racing trucks, the hills for the fourwheelers and dirt bikes and plenty of grass for us all to cut. (I promise you, any grass that isn't in my sodded area isn't coming into my sodded area) I believe we can put on a pretty good challenge. Anyone want to contribute to put on this show?

After all the above, none of it means jack. Just enjoy the units you have and as I always end these things:

Run it like you stole it. If you break it, fix it.

Gentlemen, Have a Great Father's Day!

RhettWS

Threads
I am in Alexandria but travel through Denham fairly often.

A CenLA boy ehh!!! I'm sure you will enjoy your mower. I get up that way sporadically. My wife graduated from Menard and we have some other friends that went to Bolton and ASH. Nice area of the state.

I saw a lot of folks chime in on traction and many stated it is a fickle thing. I suspect the added weight would help on a slope assuming it was dry. I wanted a lighter unit, sort of a mud buggy to float across the top. My Raptor seems to do that fairly well. A have a very small amount of steep bank next to a small bayou that runs through my property. I mow it only when it is dry and I've had no real issues. Practice on the different slopes, surfaces, etc. really seems to help me out.

Good luck!

ed3303

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah Rhett, born and raised in Pineville, lived in BR for awhile and still have a house on the Amite just South of Port Vincent. I do miss those river rat days...
Anyway, have made a full mow with the new Fastrak and couldn't be more pleased. It did everything I asked if it, had plenty of traction and while not as fast as the Silver Eagle, it is plenty fast for me.
Thanks again everyone for the input and advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

RhettWS

Threads
Glad the new mower does well for you. Keep those CenLA people straight up there. They're a crazy bunch.:thumbsup: