22 HP Intek hard start cold

slapshot

Threads
I have a 2001 22 HP Intek with 800 hours and it just started the following symptoms. My battery is fully charged and is only a coupla years old. When I go to start it cold (summer 60+ degrees) it just clicks and the flywheel does not spin. I keep turning the key off and on and it starts turning over slowly, off and on, until after about a minute of messing with the key, it finally starts spinning properly and it starts. When I shut it off hot, it starts right up. Whats going on?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Sounds like bad battery cable connection, maybe where ground attaches to the frame. Check by using jumper cables to jump from the battery directly to the starter. Using one cable at a time will pinpoint which side, ground or positive the problem is in. IF on positive side, probably a safety switch problem.

OR, a "couple year old" battery may turn out to be older and a couple year old battery may be bad anyway.

Walt Conner

slapshot

Threads
Thank you very much, Tinkerer! I tried another cold start this AM after removing the neg ground to the frame, polished all up with a file and steel wire brush and used dielectric gel when I put it all back together and it fired right up! Now I wish I could get this kind of response on the Lawn Boy forum for my question there. Been 2 weeks and 100 views and not one response..

Tinkerer200

Threads
So what's your LB problem? My address, put in proper format - wconner5 at frontier dot com

Walt Conner

577jersey

Threads
If its not the wires,connections,or relay..then its the starter motor...the clicking is telling me the relay seems good though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you very much, Tinkerer! I tried another cold start this AM after removing the neg ground to the frame, polished all up with a file and steel wire brush and used dielectric gel when I put it all back together and it fired right up! Now I wish I could get this kind of response on the Lawn Boy forum for my question there. Been 2 weeks and 100 views and not one response..

Well in 2 weeks, I would have viewed that post 42 times so that is nearly 1/2 the hits from some one thousands of miles away in a place where lawn boys were never sold because they could not compete with the local mowers.
A lot of people use the "new post since last visit" feature and or the " View posts with no answeres" function, for no other reason but to ensure we don't miss anything.

About once a week, no more please, post a reply to your own post with not much more than the :anyone: smiley.
This will bump your post so people will keep reading it.
Some one will evntually reply to it.

slapshot

Threads
Well, now it is a couple of weeks later and it is doing it again, does this model have a relay? and if so, where is it located? I cannot see it right off. Maybe behind the fuel tank?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your valve lash.
If the opening is too big you do not get enough decompression and the starter can not overcome the higher compression.