My Honda GCV160 died

Pappy309

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Honda GCV160 died and won't even let me pull the rope more than just taking up the slack. It ran great up till this happened yesterday. Have had it 41 months and the warranty was for 36 months, all oil and other changed reguarly. I use non-alcohol regular gas with stabilizer. Any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Sorry to hear that.
Start by telling us what the Honda is powering, it make a difference to how you proceed
In ay case it backwards onto the handle and check the blades.

Pappy309

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry it is a HRR2168VYA on a self propelled 21" mower. Went home last night and pulled the pull rope assembly back off to see if it was froze up but it turns freely. Would this have anything to do with any of the safety devices that most of the new ones have that would do this same thing, most have told me that the safety devices let it turn but it just doesn't start. Is this the case? If the clutch for the blade stop was not working would it not allow the engine to turn if the blade was still engaged?

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry it is a HRR2168VYA on a self propelled 21" mower. Went home last night and pulled the pull rope assembly back off to see if it was froze up but it turns freely. Would this have anything to do with any of the safety devices that most of the new ones have that would do this same thing, most have told me that the safety devices let it turn but it just doesn't start. Is this the case? If the clutch for the blade stop was not working would it not allow the engine to turn if the blade was still engaged?

If the BBC (Blade Brake Clutch) had failed, it would probably only prevent the blades from being engaged, not likely to prevent the engine from turning over.

Did you hit anything (stump, sprinkler etc.) are possibly impact anything on the FRONT of the engine? Minor impact damage to the valve cover can cause the valves to lock-up and would prevent the engine from turning; inspect the valve cover for damage:

26917015314_dd7897b8a4_o.png