Engine MTP Chipper/Shredder

Karl Hungus

Forum Newbie
Threads
My parents gave me an MTD chipper (with Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP engine) that they bought new a couple years ago, used once or twice, then stuck in the shed. Right now, I'm trying to get it running, to no avail. I haven't delved into small-engine repair since my high school auto-shop class, so I'm a little out of my depth. The spark plug looks good, it seems to be getting compression, but I think there's a problem with the throttle. After tearing the thing down and getting the fuel tank off to where I can see the throttle and its associated cables, springs, and levers, it doesn't look like anything is being actuated when the throttle lever is moved. Can anyone tell from the attached pic what might be missing, broken, or out of place?

Attachments

• Attach0 (Medium).jpg
    Attach0 (Medium).jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 14

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the greatest picture, but to me everything is there and connected correctly. The throttle is connected to the governor arm by the solid link, with the tensioner spring wrapped around it. Other two spring are located properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Nothing looks wrong.
grab the rod that connects the throttle butterfly on the carb the the govenor lever.
You should be able to move it left right if the butterfly is not stuck, and they rarely do.
This is a governed engine so the carburettor does not respond to movements of the throttle lever.
Moving the throttle lever simply changes the pressure on those two springs.

Chances are the carb will be gummed up or the fuel tap will be gummed up .

Check you have fuel delivery to the carb.
Remove the float bowl and work the float with your finger check that fuel flows when it hangs down and that fuel stops flowing before the float stops moving up.

Go to http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/MTD-Service-Repair-Manuals/ and download the must have book 4.
It is a big book but covers all of the stuff like shredders.