Mission Creep - The long tale of how a 2165 is coming back from the junk pile

packardv8

Threads
  • / Mission Creep - The long tale of how a 2165 is coming back from the junk pile
Several years ago, I mowed with a 2135 and the PTO developed intermittent operation. I found a 2165 which had been used to tow a salt spreader; as a result, the footboards were rusted through but the PTO had never been used. I bought it for $200 as spares for the one I was using. The 2135 PTO problem turned out to be the push-on wiring connector, so the clutch never had to be replaced.

The 2165 started and ran perfectly, but closer inspection found a cracked right front kingpin housing on the axle end. Bought a used axle for $30.

One dark night, the 2135 was stolen, so now the 2165 had no purpose, so it needed to go away. I thought it would be worth more if it had a functioning mower deck. After years of searching craigslist, today, I found a perfect 48" deck with the fan-assist bagger blower for $100.

So now, I've got $330 in a mower which I don't really need and will end up selling after several hours of labor to get it fixed up.

Any guesses as to what a 2165 mower is worth these days? Pictures to follow soon.

jack vines

waffler

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mission Creep - The long tale of how a 2165 is coming back from the junk pile
Depends on the year :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
jack.
Some one was looking for a ride on under $1500 in a thread "need a mower for my mum" or something similar
They are in Arkansas where ever that is.
they are probably 500 miles away but my USA geographical knowledge is severely limited

packardv8

Threads
Depends on the year :smile:

Actually, mine turns out to be a 2166 and those were only 2000-2003 or so.

Saturday was one step forward and three steps back.

1. The new/used front axle went on with no problems and I greased everything while I was there.

2. Sitting in storage for all those years completely "perished" the fuel lines. Had to replace all the rubber from the tank to the carburetor. The long line from the tank was cracked in a zillion places and the short right angle molded piece at the carb had deteriorated inside and was completely plugged.

3. The carb still isn't working, but the engine starts and runs when manually primed. The anti-diesel solenoid does retract when manually fed 12v, so I'll have to test it's also getting voltage when both start and run are energized. (Anyone else get pissed every time the Kohler carb has to be worked on? They have to be worked on a lot and that design just sucks. Not being able to remove the air filter base without disconnecting the linkage is really a PITA and then having to reinstall the filter mounting cup to be able to test run, but then the linkage isn't functional. Ten better methods of mounting an air filter and carb linkage than that used on the Kohlers!)

4. Since the floorboard is rusted away, I thought I'd check and to my amazement, they are still available new, albiet for $200 delivered or $100 ebazed used. I keep hoping to find a parts machine locally, but then it took five years to find a mower deck.

jack vines

packardv8

Threads
It's alive! Naturally, after being in storage, the carb was gummed up. I disassembled it, blew it out and now it starts and runs perfectly. This 16hp 2166 actually starts and runs better than the 13hp 2135 I used for years. That was one cold-blooded engine.

The next question is why the never-used PTO doesn't engage. Most likely the problem is somewhere in the OEM switch and all the interlocks. It's amazing how few wires are actually necessary for the engine to start and run and for the PTO to engage/disengage. And yes, your opinions and results may vary, but on these older models, most of the problems are in the interlocks.

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah,
I do not know why but every 2000 series cub I put my hands on seems to have been fitted with a toggle for either the PTO or starter.
This is strange as the wiring on these is strait foreward and easily accessiable.

packardv8

Threads
Yeah,
I do not know why but every 2000 series cub I put my hands on seems to have been fitted with a toggle for either the PTO or starter.
This is strange as the wiring on these is strait foreward and easily accessiable.

Yes, for true, or both, as this 2166. But the CC OEM switches are JUNK! and the start/run/PTO operation traces through several of these junk switches. After having continual random problems and then paying the big bucks a few times for replacements, most of us just go with a industrial aftermarket and never have a problem again.

FWIW, the tractor is rewired and ready to go/mow; just need the correct length engine-to-deck drive belt. Since the 48" deck is from a later/larger model, what is the chance a 2166 belt will be the correct choice? From the internet, it's supposedly a B-series 112.4" long. That wasn't in stock at the no-longer-a-CC-dealer, nor at the two industrial supply houses, so I took a chance on a 111" and it worked.

Couldn't resist a few turns around the large, rough back 1/2-acre. The 2166 with 48" deck and 16hp is MUCH more tractor than the 2135 with 36" and 12hp. The larger wheels make a noticeable difference in feel.

Still to come is the belt-driven fan-assist clippings blower and mounting a twin bagger. Never used one of those blowers, but it will maybe add just enough too much width to the 48" deck to be really usable in the front lawn full of trees and flower beds.

Anyway, the trial run was so successful it makes me think of selling the new Toro ZT and keeping the old CC. The cast iron Kohler makes half the engine noise of the aluminum twin Briggs & Stratton on the Toro.

jack vines

Last edited:

packardv8

Threads
Just spent an entire Saturday afternoon replacing the running boards on what had been a junked mower. Yeah, I should have taken a 'before' photo to show how the foot rest area was completely rusted away on both sides.

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Anyway, went to the scrap yard and for $12, bought a used aftermarket diamond plate aluminum pickup truck running board. Cut it to fit, bent to follow the missing sheet metal, bolted and pop-riveted it in place.

If and when I go to sell it, I won't make minimum wage on the time invested, so I must like to do this sort of resurrection.

Then, there's the new $80 seat.

jack vines

packardv8

Threads
Re: Mission Creep - The long tale of how a 2166 is coming back from the junk pile

My wife has a low tolerance for extra rusty junk around, so I reluctantly sold the mower to a guy really needing a bush hog, but could only afford a $700 mower.

I've found in advertising such, it helps to offer delivery. The downside turns out the new 52" mower deck was wider than the 51" between the wheelwells of my F250. Had to borrow a trailer and haul it clear across town.

By the time it was over, I barely broke even on the project, but did have the satisfaction of putting a good machine back into service

jack vines

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jack, great stuff and thanks for sharing.