MTD mower deck

Redbrother

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. Newbie here at the forums.
I have an MTD yard machine, that I bought used. Everytime I lower the deck, beyond the first two positions, the engine begins to stall. Once I return the deck to one of the upper two positions. It runs as normal. Any suggestions? Thank you all.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone. Newbie here at the forums.
I have an MTD yard machine, that I bought used. Everytime I lower the deck, beyond the first two positions, the engine begins to stall. Once I return the deck to one of the upper two positions. It runs as normal. Any suggestions? Thank you all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the engine, locate and temporarily disconnect the magneto ground wire that kills the engine when the key switch is turned to the stop position. If the engine no longer stalls when the deck is lowered the odds are that the mower has a safety switch that isn't functioning correctly.

dvutmd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where is the magneto ground wire on the engine and ?can I disconnect it and leave it disconnected so I lower the mowing deck so the engine will run?? Do I need the safety switch, or will the engine not turn off if I disconnect the magneto ground wire.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the LMF...

You need the ground to kill the magneto...
But you can do away with any safety switches... Just be aware that you are removing a bit of safety for any other possible user.... :smile:KennyV

dvutmd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,

Where is the mageto ground wire located on the mower? I can't find that info in the manual...Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks,

Where is the mageto ground wire located on the mower? ...

It ultimately ends up at the key switch... With the key turned to off, it is shorted to ground... with the key turned to run it is, open, not connected to any thing... :smile:KennyV

dvutmd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can I just remove the safety switches so the mower deck can be lowered to the lowest 2 settings without the engine cutting off? Are the safety switches under the mower deck??? Is that where they are located?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
All the switching will be on the tractor .. not on the deck... :smile:KennyV

Redbrother

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the helpful feedback! My mower is actually an mtd huskee HDS. I have two connections on the switch.
1. Is a single red wire.
2. Is a multiple ( red, green, yellow, orange, and red/white wired) 5 port connection.
What next?