Re-edging a seat

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all, this third shift stuff (and nice weather) has really limited my time on LMF.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck putting the edging back on a seat. By edging, I mean that strip of piping that holds the vinyl to the pan. The piping that comes OFF over time. Whenever I try to put it back on again, it appears as if it's 'shrunk' and the clip can't hold both ends of it.

I have a seat or two that the vinyl is in great shape, totally crack and hole free, but the piping is coming off, and it looks like crap.

Any tricks to this? Or is it just a "live with it" issue......:rolleyes:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had an auto and motorcycle seat fabricator & installer tell me that a good quality silicone spray restores some of the flexibility and will allow stretching of the vinyl. a little heat from a hair dryer also allows some stretching. You probably don't want to get the silicone inside the piping. :biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks BK.

But, it seems as if the piping ITSELF has shrunk....:confused: If I take my time, it only misses being in the right spot by a 1/4". I was thinking about making a longer clip out of a strap clip from work, but I wanted to see if anyone has successfully put the edging back on....and if so, what I'm doing wrong.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The longer clip would solve the problem ! :thumbsup:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I'll do that. :thumbsup:

Anyone notice generic 'low-back' replacement seats are just as expensive as the genuine OEM replacement seats complete with logos (if the original had logos)? In some cases, they are actually MORE (in the case of Snapper and my low-back JD RER seat - the generic is MORE EXPENSIVE)!!

Are people THAT asleep at the switch that they just ASSUME the generic is cheaper than OEM without even CHECKING? That can be the only reason these seats sell as fast as they do. That is a sad commentary on this industry - that people are so afraid of a mower dealer, they won't even stop by to CHECK the cost of a part!

:confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have done the same thing you are doing and used the old piping but for some reason it never stays on very long after. Maybe you chould try new piping? I had also tryed it with two clips.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a good trim & molding adhesive.. use a brand that remains flexible after it sets up... Heat up the strip (sun light is enough) Use a small clamp or vicegrips to hold your starting point, pull it tight while thumping it in place with a rubber mallet...
use the adhesive on any radius where it turns .
The 1/4 to 3/8 you are short is not from shrinkage, it is the corners are not pushed in & remaining tight enough to hold... a little bit at each change in direction adds up to make it short & loose... :smile:KennyV