Removing Ethanol From Gasoline

funflyer

Threads
The last thing I want to start is another debate on the subject of Ethanol so for those of you that have no problems with it's use please stop reading and click the back button. For those of you who, like me, want nothing to do with the vile swill in your small engines, read on. This is not my idea but something I picked up on the net several years ago and has served me well. The closest gas station that sells E0 is 70 miles from me so for the 10 to 15 gallons I use in a season it's worth it to remove the ethanol myself.

The drain tube is made from 3/4" clear tubing, a 1/2" ball valve and 2 hose clamps.

Starting with an empty 5 gallon gas can, I add 64oz of distilled water and head to the gas station to fill it the rest of the way with 91 octane gas (4.5 gallons). 10% ethanol will increase the octane value by 2 so starting with 91 octane will yeild 89 octane when the ethanol is removed. It takes no time for the ethanol to absorb the water so by the time I get home (about 5 minutes) it's ready to be drained off.

Here's my old Gott gas can turned upside down on my B&D workmate with the spout set at the lowest point. Water is heavier than gas so it will quickly settle to the lowest point (the spout) where it can be drained.

2q1rjuv.jpg

Hose assembly clamped to the spout. The bubbles seen inside the tube are water/ethanol droplets heading south. This picture was taken near the end of the procedure so the droplets are smaller and there are less of them.

2yw8rkj.jpg

It's easy to see in this pic how fast the water/ethanol settles to the bottom of the hose.

2cid9o0.jpg

Here's what I drain it into to see how much ethanol is actually removed from the gas. This batch had 8% ethanol.

1tkap5.jpg

Near the end of the draining, you can clearly see where the swill ends and pure gas begins.

4ic7th.jpg

I usually drain off a few ounces of gas at the end to make sure there's not a drop of the swill left in the tube.

14sgvph.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love it. Thanks for posting.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem you have is the gasoline left behind has lost a lot of its octane value because the ethanol will strip out valuable fuel components when removed.

Adding water to gasoline just to remove the ethanol isn't a good idea. I could see it doing far more harm than good. It's not like you can add an octane booster because you don't know what octane you have left to start with or what other additive you possibly have altered changed or removed.

The thing I see that has a better chance of happening is someone getting hurt. Gas is something that shouldn't be messed around with, it's to dangerous. If ethanol is a concern to you they make plenty of additives that are supposed to take care of that issue and are safer to deal with.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have to agree with ric on this.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is just not worth it

Mike_Goad

Threads
Just use a good fuel stabilizer like Ethanol Shield. This fights the ethanol issues so that it will not hurt anything. It does work. Message me and i will send you a sample.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just use a good fuel stabilizer like Ethanol Shield. This fights the ethanol issues so that it will not hurt anything. It does work. Message me and i will send you a sample.

Ethanol Shield is just one of many stabilizers available on the market that you can get that work very well if you have issues with ethanol. Nice thing is you can buy stabilizers most any place that sells gas, so it's convenient.

funflyer

Threads
Sorry guys, no snake oil for me and I've tried them all. I've been removing ethanol from my gasoline for years now and have ZERO issues, unlike the problems I had with additives. I was hoping this would not become a debate but be useful for those who know the facts about ethanol problems with small engines.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry guys, no snake oil for me and I've tried them all. I've been removing ethanol from my gasoline for years now and have ZERO issues, unlike the problems I had with additives. I was hoping this would not become a debate but be useful for those who know the facts about ethanol problems with small engines.

I will agree with the members that conclude it could be dangerous ...... however if you prefer your method , by all means , continue with common sense ( which it appears you are blessed with ) and ignore the nay-sayers , HELL , driving to the store is dangerous !! GREAT pics !! PLAY SAFE !!
Boobala :thumbsup:

Also added a link that may be useful ......http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AZ