Mower deck Husqvarna - Blade hitting the deck

peabodyn

Threads
When tilting the mower while running and cutting the grass, the blade is hitting the underside of the deck.

The deck is not rusted at all and the blade is installed correctly and I don't think the blade is bent.

Should I just bend the blade equally to create more space between the blade and the deck?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will find the blades wouldn't bend, spring steel. Unless you have a torch to heat with. When it comes to mower blades its best to replace them instead of bending them. If the blade breaks it can cause injures. You will be much better off if you can adjust the deck so the blade doesn't hit.

peabodyn

Threads
Is there any way to adjust the deck?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Other then you are using a Husqvarna somebody might be able to help you better if include a model and serial number. Just where are the blades hitting the deck and is this something new that just started? Did you install new blades? I just don't see this being a Husqvarna problem without a reasoning for it to happen, so you might want to fix the problem. If this is a new mower it should be warranty. Your first post you talked about bending the blades which is a very poor idea.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If blades are installed correctly they cannot hit the deck. Reasons the blade can hit the deck. Bent Blade. Loose or damaged baffles. Loose or damaged spindles. So now it's time for you to look under your deck and see exactly where it's hitting the deck and let us know.

peabodyn

Threads
I took the blade off and inspected it and found it was not bent at all.

The blade was actually hitting the side of the deck not underneath but only when I tilted the mower.

I took the blade to my bench grinder and took off about 1/8" on both sides and carefully balanced the blade.

I also saw that on the blade adapter which normally has 2 blade locating nubs, had none. Apparently they sheared off sometime before I got the mower.

I drilled and tapped 2 holes and threaded 2 bolts in to act as locating pins.

All seems good now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I took the blade off and inspected it and found it was not bent at all.

The blade was actually hitting the side of the deck not underneath but only when I tilted the mower.

I took the blade to my bench grinder and took off about 1/8" on both sides and carefully balanced the blade.

I also saw that on the blade adapter which normally has 2 blade locating nubs, had none. Apparently they sheared off sometime before I got the mower.

I drilled and tapped 2 holes and threaded 2 bolts in to act as locating pins.

All seems good now.

That bodge is unbleievely dnagerious.
Should the blade strike something hard and the break away pins not shear the blade will bend and the machine will lurch violently. usually over your foot.
Either the blade carrier is bent, the spindle is bent the deck is bent or the mower is mounted incorrectly in the deck.
I very strongly suggest pulling the spark plug out and spinning the blade checking that the shaft is not bent .
If shaft is strail then replace the blade mount.
If the shaft is bent, some mower shops hafe a tool to straiten it but , once bent the shaft is compromised and likely to bend or break almost without warning.
Your mower, you foot your family your decision.

peabodyn

Threads
That bodge is unbleievely dnagerious.
Should the blade strike something hard and the break away pins not shear the blade will bend and the machine will lurch violently. usually over your foot.
Either the blade carrier is bent, the spindle is bent the deck is bent or the mower is mounted incorrectly in the deck.
I very strongly suggest pulling the spark plug out and spinning the blade checking that the shaft is not bent .
If shaft is strail then replace the blade mount.
If the shaft is bent, some mower shops hafe a tool to straiten it but , once bent the shaft is compromised and likely to bend or break almost without warning.
Your mower, you foot your family your decision.

Wow. Never thought of that.

I will do as you suggest and spin the blade without the spark plug in and if it is spinning straight I will get a new blade carrier with the shear pins.

Thanks!

peabodyn

Threads
Replaced the blade carrier and same deal with "blade hitting the deck".

Turned mower over and could not see any marks of the blade against the deck.

But, I did see that the shield on the back of the mower deck was loose due to a missing bolt.

Replaced bolt - problem solved.

Thanks for the guidance about the blade carrier.

turbofiat124

Threads
I just went through all of this with my Husqvarna 46" (Craftsman). First of all my daughter through one of those Shepherd's hooks out in the yard and before I saw it, I ran over it and bent my blades. Then that same day, I hit a stick and bent one of them further to where it was hitting the deck.

IMG_20160628_145629303_zpsdizsry9a.jpg

IMG_20160628_145636145_zpse6veubp9.jpg

This fixed the problem for awhile. Then it started scalping the yard once again. So I removed the deck and found this:

IMG_20170425_110343065_zpskgjmstvx.jpg

So now my mower is cutting like new again.

Then the other day I was at the bottom of my driveway and once again my mower started making this ungodly noise from the deck. I discovered piece #11 was booger-ed up and the blade was hitting it:

diagram.gif

I removed the piece and all was fine afterwards.

Not trying to hijack anyone's thread but what purpose does this piece serve? Husqvarna is calling it a baffle. Do I need it? Do I need to buy a new one?