Engine Toro Timemaster exhaust leak and governor

GMFI

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro contacted me today, they are not aware of any issues with the engine on this machine. Advised me to contact an authorized Toro service dealer. Pretty much what I expected, but I thought it was worth asking about.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are quite welcome.

Have had no further head gasket problems since having the first one replaced. Perhaps Briggs got a defective batch of gaskets.

No there is a random problem with the castings for these engines.
Some will just continually blow the head gasket between the pushrods & cylinder.
Generally I face both the head & the block which seems to solve the problem most times.
On some engines I have to resort to helicoiling all of the head bolt holes and ramp up the torque to 35 / 40 ft lbs.

Machinhg defect / casting defect don't know but the facing works wonders.
I have had engines come in that have blown the head gasket from ne and the owners was ubaware so just kept on using it till it would not start.

GMFI

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am sure there is some issue, but maybe it is not as widespread as other problems with this mower. I was just relaying what Toro told me which is what I expected they would say. I did try to block the deck and head with some 400 grit, but that is about as far as I am willing to go right now. If it lets go again I will resurface. Thanks for the tip.

GMFI

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fixed. Head gasket arrived today. Buttoned it up after work and all is well once again. Hopefully it will stay together and I can get back to enjoying it. Thanks again to everyone for all of the help, I really appreciate it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After a few mows , recheck the valve lash they can go out as the head settles that is why the dealers are supposed to check them at the first service.
Glad to see it has been resolved

briandh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
Please excuse my long post, but I am trying to give a little background. I have a toro timemaster 30 and have had great luck for the first two years of ownership. Might have about 75 hours on it, only used on my flat fescue lawn under 1/2 acre. About a month ago I noticed what seemed to be an exhaust leak at the muffler, since then I have replaced the exhaust gaskets, thermostat and finally muffler and still have the issue. When I first removed the muffler most of the threads on the forward bolt came out with it. I have since installed heli coils and have no issues getting 85 in/lb torque on the bolts. As I was ordering some parts for the engine I decided to replace the belts, but not the blade timing belt. All seems to be adjusted fine, but I did notice a lack of power (governor). I searched this site and did find some insight on the governor adjustment but it did not help. I know I should have taken it to a toro service shop and had my problem taken care of under warranty, however I purchased it at the home depot and in the past shops have not wanted to service what they did not sell, my experience anyway. So in closing, I have what sounds like an exhaust leak and a governor out of adjustment. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I typically fix more than I break, but not in this case.

What size hole did you drill out for the heli coils? I have the same problem, this might fix it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same size bolts.
The helicoil tap is a lot more rounded than the std tap used for the bolts and the insert adds a lot of strength .
The reason why you torque to 20 - 25 PSI is not the bolt but the strength of the threaded region of the head