16.5 b&s rider mower engine doesn't start

whitebriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey im new to this forum, just wanted to know why my rider mower doesn't start
its a white and has got a 16hp intek motor, it keeps trying to crank (i can see the engine spin slowly when i crank), until the battery runs out of juice and doesn't crank anymore

one thing is that the mower hasn't been used in 2 years, however the battery is new and the spark plug looks fine and the oil looks brown, also air filter is in decent condition.

what else can i do??

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
if it has set without use for 2 years the gas is problably gummed up the carb with varnish and may need to be cleaned.

whitebriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
if it has set without use for 2 years the gas is problably gummed up the carb with varnish and may need to be cleaned.

how would i go about doing this?
I have very extensive knowledge about car engines, but am completely lost when it comes to this

mullins87

Threads
how would i go about doing this?
I have very extensive knowledge about car engines, but am completely lost when it comes to this

All the same principles as any car engine, only on a smaller scale and without the electronics. Clean out the carb and try again. If you can work on a car engine, this will be a no brainer for you. :thumbsup:

whitebriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I charged the new battery fully, same problem, it tries to crank but doesn't fire up.

I'm trying to clean the carb, however am confused as how to remove the bottom bowl (as shown in this pic), there is a smooth metallic that is wired as a ground which i cannot take off where the nut should be??

4ryzw5.jpg

Also where would the oil drain plug be on this?

30ixptx.jpg

2r3y155.jpg

mullins87

Threads
I used to have a White with the 14.5hp on it, otherwise very similar. The drain plug should be on the other side of the motor, probably under the starter. Mine came with a nify little plastic "trough" that snapped under the drain plug to keep the oil from spilling all over the frame. I extended mine out to the frames edge with galvanized pipe.

I really think you'll end up cleaning the entire carb, so my suggestion is to simply remove it. Once you get it off, you may find a clue as to how the bowl is secured to the carb body. It may be just threaded on, kinda like an oil filter.

whitebriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
so i replaced the oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the carb bowl and float, confirmed float moves up and down freely, and my fuel lines leading up to the carb are clean.

still doesn't start :mad:, i even replaced the spark plug

still the same thing, engine spins when i hold the key, but doesn't fire, i removed the spark plug completely and the same thing happens, engine spins but doesn't fire
also the oil light sometimes comes on but only occasionally when im trying to start the engine?

what can i do??

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
what can i do??
Stop throwing money at this machine until you pinpoint the problem or problems.
Great job on the photos. They really help a lot.
My sugestion would be to make sure you have spark by removing the spark plug and turning the motor over. You should be able to see and here the plug fire. If the plug fires, go back to the carb and clean it, not the bowl. Cean the jets, there are more than one. Get a can of Berrymans B12 chemtool at walmart or your favorite parts store. Don't use cheap carb cleaner it makes a difference.
Using the little tube that comes with the can, spray the primary jet and every other one you can find. If you are confident the carb is as clean as you can get it, reassemble and try to start using starter fliud.
Make sure the gas tank is clean and free of contaminants.
If there is no improvement, you may need to replace the carb. But don't buy one unless you are sure that the existing one is bad.
If the plug doesn't fire leave the carb alone until you get spark:wink:

jteuban

Threads
Spray in a little starter fluid and see if it fires at all. It is newer and has electronic ignition so spark is prob not the prob. If the fluid does not do it dump about 2 tb spoons of gas in the carb and see if it fires. And if this does not work start check wire such as the kill wire to the magneto to the seat and the brake. Is gas getting to the carb and through the bowl of the carb?

whitebriggs

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for all the help guys, but im a little confused as to where the "jets" are located? is is the screw that holds the bowl in place?

also i did find new fuel in the bowl, so im guessing fluid is reaching the carb
i cleaned the fuel tank and fuel lines and filled up the tank with fresh fuel to create gravitational load.

where would i put the starter fluid, in the tank?

it does have electronic ignition, but im thinking the ignition wire is bad? how would i test this?

my grass just keeps growing :frown: