electric pto clutch.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the tip. Now if we could post the mfgr recommended current figure for each machine brand a person could first use the vom to check VOLTAGE at supply wire in , and then CURRENT passing through to help in a decision of whether to replace this expensive part. Such talk may fighten some away, so a couple simple pics could help?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the tip. Now if we could post the mfgr recommended current figure for each machine brand a person could first use the vom to check VOLTAGE at supply wire in , and then CURRENT passing through to help in a decision of whether to replace this expensive part. Such talk may fighten some away, so a couple simple pics could help?

You will not find any which is a bit of a PIA when tying to fit a used one.
Like any mass produced electrical device there will be a normal variation in current draw.
This will change when the unit gets hot, will be less when the unit is cold ( snow ploughing ) will vary with the position of the battery, the number of plugs between the battery & clutch .
Most owners are hard put to work out a dip stick let alone understand the fluctuations of an ampmeter connected to their PTO and I seriously doubt it would be a big help to the owners.
I only ever check that it works and occasionally check the air gap, if it is adjustable & blow the dust out.

The PTO manufacturers do list average current draws in their catalogues and some actually stamp it onto the clutch.
Joe Public has difficulty reading the manual, about engaging the blades at 1/2 speed then throttleing up let alone some thing really confussing like current draws.
Next Joe public will start to see that there really is a difference between the Husqvarna & the Craftsman apart from the colour and finally factories seem to fit a clutch quite a random.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
More good advice. Since I am only a homeowner I thought the mfgr of (some) the brand might publish troubleshoot data in form of a fault tree like done on auto computer controls where eg., find point A, should be 12V . I only briefly looked at the intek engine book but it had some values for the voltagel reg and stator. I imagine it is difficult for professionals to have a lot of faith in the general public concerning tech stuff. I shoot for the ? 5% who might be interested and further their education.