Raptor SD 36

Lafitte

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks,
Just purchased a new Raptor SD 36 for my yard work. Upgraded from a Cub Cadet LTX1046KW. Impressions so far;
1. A bit disappointed that Kawasaki engine no longer available. However Kohler 7000 series seems ok.
2. Unit does a great job cutting grass. A bit of a learning curve in ZTR driving , but am getting better.
3. Changed the oil/filter at about 4 hours with dino 10w-30.
4. Need to purchase a blanking plate to eliminate side discharge chute for mulching clippings. (did same on Cub Cadet) Any sources/suggestions ?
5. Anybody else have the 36" cut ? I got it due to trees and gates in my yard.

:cool:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi Folks, Just purchased a new Raptor SD 36 for my yard work. Upgraded from a Cub Cadet LTX1046KW. Impressions so far; 1. A bit disappointed that Kawasaki engine no longer available. However Kohler 7000 series seems ok. 2. Unit does a great job cutting grass. A bit of a learning curve in ZTR driving , but am getting better. 3. Changed the oil/filter at about 4 hours with dino 10w-30. 4. Need to purchase a blanking plate to eliminate side discharge chute for mulching clippings. (did same on Cub Cadet) Any sources/suggestions ? 5. Anybody else have the 36" cut ? I got it due to trees and gates in my yard. :cool:

My feelings are the kohler is a upgrade from the Kawasaki. The power curve is so much better.

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
I upgraded to the sd 54 from a cub lzt50 - it is a bit different but cut is way better. kohler is strong but way louder. just changed by oil at 4.5hrs too - the Hustler is built a lot stronger than the cub and the blades are way heavier steel. in so many ways a big upgrade for us except reading the reviews of the hustler bagger has me holding off on getting that - we only used it about twice a year on the cub but it was handier than the sweeper

Nsptgadget

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey and I thought I was the only one in this world that has a new Raptor SD 36 inch.

I needed a ZTR to fit through my small back yard gate that leads to a mostly flat, 3/4 acre yard on common Bermuda.

I was pushing my Husqvarna push mower in Texas heat (>95 degrees) weekly and I hated it! It took me 3 hours from start to finish (Edge, trim, mow and blow). Now it takes me about an hour max, leaves me more time to fertilize the yard to make it grow more so I can cut more often, lol! :thumbsup:

I was looking really hard at the Gravely Compact Pro 34, Raptor SD 36 and a Toro MX3450; I test drove each, I really liked the Gravely but it was out of my budget (6K for the commercial unit). I thought Toro was OK, however read that a lot of folks didn't like the engine on the MX, TORO engine. I drove the SD and thought it was perfect for my residential lawn application.

I paid 3650 out the door with a engine guard and mulch kit. I found a dealer who couldn't sell it because all his customers prefer 42 inch or larger ZTR's. I told him that I'd pay cash and he gave me a good deal (I think?).

This is my first ZTR and I don't know too much about small engine motors, but I thought the Kohler had more power and speed vs the TORO. The Gravely is definitely in it's own class (commercial unit) and was awesome all around, but couldn't justify paying 6K for the mower and Kawi engine. If only money grew on trees. I'm getting close to my first oil change at 5 hours, and really looking forward on servicing the mower myself except I'm a little worried about trying to take the oil filter off. Other folks have said that Superman put on the oil filter at the factory and requires putting a screw driver through it to turn break it loose.

My neighbors have come out to ask questions when I mow my lawn with the RD 36, they say the cut is awesome and it looks great. When they ask home much I paid for the machine, I turn the question back on to them and asked them how much they pay per year for lawn service in the Texas heat. One neighbor mumbled around 40 per week x 10 month long season, math comes out to be around 1600-2000 per year. Like I said, I've been mowing with a push mower for two years saving up for this mower. When I jumped back on to the RD 36 to continue mowing, I could see it in their face how much they resented the fact that I brought up how much they were spending on lawn care.

About a week later, one of the neighbors had delivered a Toro SS 4225 Time cutter he bought at Home depot. I saw him happy as can be mowing his front lawn, but he came over and knocked on my door and asked if I could cut his back yard cause he neglected to actually get a mower that fit through the gate. :laughing:

All in all, I really like my 36, it's a small yellow tank. Wouldn't want anything larger for my application. Hope you enjoy yours also!

Lafitte

Forum Newbie
Threads
update:
Now have 2 seasons experience. Have added an exhaust baffle ( was burning lawn if left stationary for awhile ),engine guard and a mulching kit. Replaced blades after one season withOregon G3 mulching blades.They are way heavier and seem to cut well

Bigmks

Threads
i have a 36" as well. I love my small tank! only problem I've had was a leaky front castor tire. Green Slime fixed the problem. Im getting close to coming up on 1st oil change but is has been so rainy here in South Carolina. I had to us my push mower the last few cut. The mower is pretty solid and will leave tracks on the yard if its wet. So far enjoying purchase. (engine and mulch kit installed around 4K for total purchase)

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 27

Nsptgadget

Forum Newbie
Threads
update:
Now have 2 seasons experience. Have added an exhaust baffle ( was burning lawn if left stationary for awhile ),engine guard and a mulching kit. Replaced blades after one season withOregon G3 mulching blades.They are way heavier and seem to cut well

Hi Lafitte,

Are you using the Oregon G3 mulching blades with your mulching kit? I was thinking to use either the G3 or G5 blades, but everyone on these forums don't recommend Gator blades with factory mulch kit, they were designed for side discharge.

Can you please enlighten me with your current set up and how's it's working out for you?

Andy

mhavanti

Threads
Those 36" Raptors are just plain cute. lol

Lafitte

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Lafitte,

Are you using the Oregon G3 mulching blades with your mulching kit? I was thinking to use either the G3 or G5 blades, but everyone on these forums don't recommend Gator blades with factory mulch kit, they were designed for side discharge.

Can you please enlighten me with your current set up and how's it's working out for you?

Andy

They seem to be working well. Cut is smooth and chops clippings very fine.

jfpointer

Threads
My Raptor SDs are both 60" units, but I do have a little Dixon SpeedZTR 30 for those tight spots. Being able to get through pretty much any gate and maneuver in tight areas is handy sometimes.