Ford YT18H fuel line lost its prime, won't start without help.

Dguysk01

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ford YT18H fuel line lost its prime, won't start without help.
Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out my lawn mower, it's a Ford yt18h with the Kohler magnum 18hp engine. I have used this tractor for about a year and have never had any issues whatsoever with this machine, until last weekend. I got brave and tried to mow the road side of my ditch and got it stuck at quite an incline. I pulled it out, and it ran great the rest of that evening. I went to mow the lawn this past Sunday after it had say for a week, and it will not start. I replaced the fuel filter, as it had a crack in it and i replaced the spark plugs because they looked awful. I took the carb off and cleaned it but it was very clean to begin with. I found that there was no fuel getting to the bowl, but the filter was getting fuel. I applied vacuum to the line at the bowl to suck fuel down to the bowl, reattached the line and hit it with starting fluid and it ran. I mowed most of my lawn but shut it off before i finished. I came back out and it is dead yet again, same issue. Any ideas?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thought would be to replace the fuel lines. Yours where built for fuel with out ethanol. Go to auto parts store with fuel line and have them get you a replacement that is ethanol compatible. You may need new clamps as it can be thicker or thinner side wall line.

Dguysk01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced all segments of fuel line with new lines compatible with ethanol, and it fired up and ran for a little bit but them died. How do the fuel pumps operate on these tractors? I'm wondering if the fuel pump is bad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you cleand the carb, did you pull the float needle out , clean it and the seat ?
Sounds like there is a blockage at the float needle.
Test the fuel pump by holding the fuel line as high as you can above the engine.
When cranking the engine, fuel should gush out at least 1/4" from the end of the line.

I use an old fuel tank from a push mower which I suspend above the engine to get a good head to diagnose fuel supply problem.

johnthall1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out my lawn mower, it's a Ford yt18h with the Kohler magnum 18hp engine. I have used this tractor for about a year and have never had any issues whatsoever with this machine, until last weekend. I got brave and tried to mow the road side of my ditch and got it stuck at quite an incline. I pulled it out, and it ran great the rest of that evening. I went to mow the lawn this past Sunday after it had say for a week, and it will not start. I replaced the fuel filter, as it had a crack in it and i replaced the spark plugs because they looked awful. I took the carb off and cleaned it but it was very clean to begin with. I found that there was no fuel getting to the bowl, but the filter was getting fuel. I applied vacuum to the line at the bowl to suck fuel down to the bowl, reattached the line and hit it with starting fluid and it ran. I mowed most of my lawn but shut it off before i finished. I came back out and it is dead yet again, same issue. Any ideas?

i would try the fuel pump..they r $20 at ur local parts store

johnthall1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced all segments of fuel line with new lines compatible with ethanol, and it fired up and ran for a little bit but them died. How do the fuel pumps operate on these tractors? I'm wondering if the fuel pump is bad.

the fuel pumps r vacume operated