Repairs Adjust/replace friction wheel WE261 WEEDEATER ONE RIDING MOWER

UncleAl

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Adjust/replace friction wheel WE261 WEEDEATER ONE RIDING MOWER
I have found he part but no videos or written step by step instructions to replace the friction wheel or adjust it. My unit was bought in 2011. Every year I change the oil, plug, filter, lub everything, reiflate the tires after winter. I have adjusted the brake and sharpened the blade. Replaced the battery in 2015. It runs great. I guess some people aren't lucky or don't try to maintain it. I need help because I do try and if I take it to a dealer I'm sure the bill will be 3/4th the cost of a new one. Can you adjust the friction wheel? Can you adjust the chains (really noisey and slapping) How can I change out th friction wheel. Any other keep it like new this would be great.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't think I have good news for you, but if my memory is still working, the friction wheel can not be purchased separately. It only comes as part of the Transaxle assembly. Had one in about three years ago and the customer junked out a two year old unit, as it was just out of warranty and the assembly cost over $300. Hopefully someone will reply and tell me I'm wrong, and my memory is as good as my advise. Good luck.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets, you are correct. Between the non replaceable friction wheel and the chain coming off this was a total failure on poulans part. It was suppose to compete with the snapper rear engine rider, but just didn't have the quality.

I have hear rumors of a possible hydrostat version.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes that one applies to you if you want to try it.

UncleAl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back to th adjustment part. If I want to push it and put the lever in back to freewheeling it doesn't roll. If I push that lever down another inch it will roll free. Is there a way to correct this?

thanks
Al

UncleAl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I assume that with over 130 views there is probably over 100 people that might have the same problem. Is it the threaded rod by the pedal? If so how much do you turn it? Or don't. HELP
Anybody.

Bueller...Bueller......Bueller

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back to th adjustment part. If I want to push it and put the lever in back to freewheeling it doesn't roll. If I push that lever down another inch it will roll free. Is there a way to correct this?

thanks
Al

Follow the rod and see if any adjustment nut is there. No one answered this because until you fix the other part this means very little and will probably have to be readjusted when fixed.

UncleAl

Forum Newbie
Threads
THANKS. but not spending 300.00 + labor for a new transaxle. 90% of the posts are people talking about what a piece of crap this is. Not much help. Although a local mechanic told me he fixed another similar friction wheel with epoxy. Yep epoxy. I tried it a few days ago. Basically mixed it and as it set painted it onto the low spots on the friction wheel. used some stuff that set up fast. applied several coats. Then blocked the mowers rear up. Then put it in drive and lightly sanded it as it rotated with a disc sander to even it. Nothing but traction. I will attempt to adjust it. we will see how long that lasts. Better then spending over half the price of a new one or driving it off a cliff. Macgyver would be proud.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly Al a lot of people like myself browse the entire site using the "new posts" search function .
I generally browse the site while having a cuppa so might do it 3 or 4 times a day so you can take about 30 off your total just for me alone & I doubt I am the only one that does this.
Secondly, at $ 60 / hr by the time I stuffed around building up the friction disc & sanding it back down it would have been cheaper for the customer for me to replace it with a new one.
Lastly I don't think that model was inflicted on us down here so apart from the exercise of doing a model & parts search I had nothing to offer.