John Deere Hydro 175

rfort

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere hydro 175 that starts and runs but shuts off when put under load. It appears to have good spark and fresh fuel and will run about 10 minutes at high speed but then just shuts off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

buy an inline spark tester, fit it to the engine so you can see it while the mower is running.
If it still flashes after the engine starts to shut down, you have a fuel problem.
If it stops flashing and then the engine starts to slow down the module is most likely gone.
In either case you have just cut down the search for possible causes by 50% well worth the $ 10

rfort

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

buy an inline spark tester, fit it to the engine so you can see it while the mower is running.
If it still flashes after the engine starts to shut down, you have a fuel problem.
If it stops flashing and then the engine starts to slow down the module is most likely gone.
In either case you have just cut down the search for possible causes by 50% well worth the $ 10

Thank you. I already tried the inline spark tester and noted a steady spark until the engine turned off so it looks like I have a fuel issue. The carb has a wire connected to the bottom. What does it control?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That goes to the fuel shut off solenoid.

rfort

Forum Newbie
Threads
That goes to the fuel shut off solenoid.

How does the solenoid work? What caused it to shut off gas flow? It sounds like it could be part of my problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is dead man switch, normally sprung closed and held open while the engine is on.
It needs around 10V so when the battery runs down they can turn off.