Raptor Flip up

Nebowhntr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. New to the forum here. I just traded my 09 fastrak for a raptor flip up model. I've done some looking on here and haven't found much info on the flip up. I was wondering if anyone on here has a flip up, and if you do, what are the pros and cons. I ordered a bagger, flex forks and engine guard with it and it should be ready to go tomorrow or Tuesday. I was also wondering if people with naggers run the factory blades. Or if there is a different blade that would help get the grass up the (non blowing chute) better. Thanks in advance.

DJ660

Threads
Bagger should\will come with blades. Just a heads up, bagger does not work with engine guard. must be removed.

Nebowhntr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the heads up on the engine guard not working with the bagger. It and the flex forks are on back order anyways. I'm going to pick up the mower tomorrow and have them ship the back ordered items to my house and install myself. On the blades I was wondering if the factory blades would work good enough, or if a gator blade would help chew the grass up better and send it up the shoot better. Being the gator blades cut it up several times before it discharges.

scootsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
How have you liked the mower for the year that you've had it? Is the bagger a good option for leaves in the fall?

Do you mow any slopes with it?

Thanks!!

LeakyGasket

Threads
Just FYI, and some grumping.

I have a 16 Fastrak and absolutely hate not being able to cut grass when it is even slightly wet. The thing loads up with LOTS of grass (mostly clover). Last time scraped out 1 1/2 five gallon buckets of sloppy grass. Said I had enough with this and went to my original dealer wanting to trade on a flip-up, so I could clean it out without laying on my back under a raised mower. Dealer said "sure", but if you do you will absolutely hate me later. Said the ride will beat you up with the hard rubber front wheels. Said it was 1/3rd the mower as the Fastrak SD. Told me to cut high, cut dry. Already has high lift blades.

I never had this problem with either my Craftsman or Murray garden tractors. Always cut in the morning, most of the time with dew on the grass. Never loaded up, but did throw out chunks when grass was high. I try to avoid the hot sun for various personal reasons.

The Fastrak is a great machine, but I detest cutting in the hot sun. I wish the flip-up was built more like the Fastrak.

kraky

Threads
I also have a 2016 FasTrak 54 and I love it..... if it's really wet out or early spring with the gummy grass I put a little piece of wood under the spring on the discharge chute and lift it slightly that helps a quite a bit. I also have one of the $90 Harbor Freight hydraulic lift which works wonderfully for picking up the front of the machine and being able to knock the stuff out of there when done if I have to. I always do the wetter part of the lawn first and then I go to the dryer parts at the end and .... that seems to help clean the wetter packing out somewhat naturally. My lawn is in pretty good shape here in Wisconsin with pretty much all grass and no leafy stuff intermingled but I understand how the high speed blade shatter those leafy plants and splatter them under the deck.

mhavanti

Threads
Leaky,

Have you given any thought to killing off the clover and other unwanted non-ornamental flawna? If you go with Bermuda, that should cause less mowing and less mucking up the wet grass build up. Just a thought.

Max

LeakyGasket

Threads
Leaky,

Have you given any thought to killing off the clover and other unwanted non-ornamental flawna? If you go with Bermuda, that should cause less mowing and less mucking up the wet grass build up. Just a thought.

Max

It's just an old family farm property I have to mow (around the house, etc. --- couple acres). Nobody lives there, so just trying to make it look like someone does. And, the clover seems to make the bees happy.

I'll just keep forging on, although Grasshopper makes a front mount flip up ----------- $$$$$$$!

mhavanti

Threads
Try cutting out the triangle of your deck, grind back the lower rectangle support to a taper toward the blade and run with the deflector about two inches upward or wide open since nobody lives there and see if that will keep the deck clean. Maybe spray the underside of the deck with teflon and that also may make things better.

Good luck.

Oh, you may want to drill some holes in your belt cover to save your deck belt, pulleys and bearings in the spindles.

First photo is of Tom's belt cover and my personal favorite, however, my covers are working flawlessly and don't look too bad. The deck cut out photos I can't give credit to the owner and I ask forgiveness when he sees this due to my forgetting his name. However, you'll see his modification and it looks great.

Max

I'll show you mine and my covers no longer retain anything where they were packing the grass in each mow. 577Jersey's Belt Cover Open Cut.jpgDSC04687.JPGDSC04688.JPGRaptor Deck Triangle Opened Up.jpgWhere to cut back deck opening.jpg

LeakyGasket

Threads
Oh, you may want to drill some holes in your belt cover to save your deck belt, pulleys and bearings in the spindles.
Max

Man, those drilled holes look PERFECT and actually factory. Very nice. Will also prop the flap and look at the cutout idea.