New to ZT Mower.

retfr8flyr

Threads
I thought I would pass along what happened to me today for any new members that are new to ZT mowers, like I am. We have been getting so much rain, where I live, for the past 5 weeks that it's just not possible to let the ground dry out before cutting the grass. The best I can hope for is that the ground is not too wet. Well today I knew I had to get the yard done, as more thunderstorms were forecast for the evening. I am very new to my Raptor SD and using a ZT mower, it's my first. My back yard has one corner area with a slight slope into bushes and woods. I was being very careful making the turn in this area but it didn't help. I had heard and read all the warnings about loosing control but until it happens to you, you don't really expect it. Once your rear wheel starts sliding on a ZT mower you are just along for the ride, you have no control. I slid into an especially soft area and was stuck for good.

I haven't sold my old JD LT-170 yet, so I hooked it up to my SD and was able to get it out to where it would get some traction. This is only the third time I have used my SD and now I understand why they emphasize not getting near any drop offs in the manual. I just thought I would post this for a good laugh and maybe help another newbe to avoid the situation. I am also very glad I added the rear engine protector when I got my SD. I don't think the engine controls would have liked the bushes and trees they would have been in today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Earl.
for a start drop a few pounds in the back tyres. that will help no end in gaining & keeping traction.
As you are new to ZTR's a little tricjk that has worked for me and a lot of my customers is to use your left hand purely for changine the speed and the right hand for steering
reverse if you are a lefty.
Concentrate only on what the right hand is doing and forget about the left.
In a month , with out knowing it you will be doing 360's on purpose

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes the first slide off is scary. Glade to hear you did not get hurt.

retfr8flyr

Threads
:welcome:
Earl.
for a start drop a few pounds in the back tyres. that will help no end in gaining & keeping traction.
As you are new to ZTR's a little tricjk that has worked for me and a lot of my customers is to use your left hand purely for changine the speed and the right hand for steering
reverse if you are a lefty.
Concentrate only on what the right hand is doing and forget about the left.
In a month , with out knowing it you will be doing 360's on purpose

Thanks, I do that but find it's easier for me to use my right hand for speed and control with the left. I know it will take some time to get comfortable with the mower but I really like it for me. I went ZT because I have very bad arthritis in my spine and turning the wheel on my JD was really getting too me. The ZT is pretty effortless compared to a tractor style mower.

Yes the first slide off is scary. Glade to hear you did not get hurt.

Thanks, it really surprised me how quickly you loose control. Luckily it's not that much of a slope but now I can understand how easily these things can turn over, once you loose control.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having been a GT operator for most of my 72 years, in 2008 I decided to buy my 1st ZTR. Half way thru the 1st full season with my new ZTR and having lost control of it twice, I was ready to park it out front of my home with a for sale sign on it.
With no control of the front wheels, ZTRs do require more attention during operation. As soon as one or both rear wheels loose traction, even if only for a short moment, it will go where it pleases!!!
As time has passed and experience has been gained, I wouldn't be without a ZTR, so even an old buzzard like me is able to be re-trained!!!
I still won't be without a GT as a ZTR is a specialized mower and does a great job of it, but won't do much else.
I recall years ago when I was going thru training for my private pilots license with a retired military flight instructor. He put a blindfold on me, let the aircraft stall, sat back and told me to remove the blindfold and regain control of the aircraft. A ZTR sliding sideways out of control reminded me of that experience.:cool:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes pilot trainers can be real bastards
I learned to fly in a tiger moth ( bi-plane )
If the instructor thinks you are not properly buckled in he would start a roll.
At 500' you get real good at remembering how to buckle up, real quick!!!
He had a similar trick for those who unbuckled before the landed plane came to complete stop, prop included

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had been running a ZT for a while on pretty level ground. I had not run one on steep or slick ground however. One morning I was cutting a property that has a very steep bank that is beside a parking lot. I wound up in the parking lot jumping the curb as I went in on a ZG222 Kubota. If it had been a 4 lane with an 18 wheeler coming it would have been all the same. Frightening.

Especially the ZG222 and I am sure others when going down a steep hill there is very little control turning if you have any speed at all especially if you need to turn right. Pulling the right lever backwards only makes the right tire spin backwards while pushing the left lever forward only makes the whole mower get faster straight ahead.

retfr8flyr

Threads
It's funny you guys relating flying situations to this. I am a retired pilot, so I can also relate to that. Mad Mackie, I am almost 71, so learning new tricks doesn't come a quickly as it once did.