Repairs ZT2044 XL Won't start with the key but I replaced alot of hardware

allinarush

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / ZT2044 XL Won't start with the key but I replaced alot of hardware
I have to turn the key on and jump it to get the mower running. I replaced the Starter, Solenoid, Key switch, and a brand new battery. When I turn the key it doesn't do anything. The lights come on and all that but it won't turn over. I've tinkered with it several times and to my surprise once every 30 key turns it might turn over, but I cut my grass by jumping it right now. I have checked and replaced the fuses as well.

Any help would be great.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two seperate sets of cafety switches.
One stops the engine by killing the spark.
The other prevents the starter from turning .
So the latter is one potential source of your problem.
Then there is the solenoid
The starter
Electrical connections to the starter
The battery.

You find out which one is the problem by methoodically bypassing elements one at a time.

Check battery and starter
Hook some jumpers from the mowers battery directly to the
1) posative lead on the starter motor
2) touching a convienant grounding sppot near the starter and the oil drain plug is ideal.
You will get a big spark which is why you connect the ground last.
Do it a dozen or more times.
Starter turns every time = battery is good + starter is good.
If not try again with a different battery
Works every time = battery is duff

Check the ground connection
Leave the ground jumper connected to the mower and try the key
Works every time then the ground between the battery & starter motor ( including starter mounting bolts ) is bad

Checking the starter connection
Leave the ground jumper in place and touch the top of the solenoid terminal that goes to the starter with the + jumper lead.
Fires every time = wire to the startter is broken or has bad connection

Checking the power supply to the solenoid
Bridge the two heavy terminals on the solenoid.
Starter spins every time = power supply is good

Checking the solenoid and solenoid ground
Remove the control wire or wires.
Use some lighter wires to bridge from the power in wire and one of the control wires.
If there are two control wires the other wire needs to be grounded.
It is not polarity sensative
Fires up every time = solenoid is good.
Single control wire does not fire then hook up the ground jumper to the body of the solenoid.
Fires every time = bad ground on solenoid.

If all these were good then you have a wiring switch problem which will need a voltmeter or test lamp and / or patch leads
If you accidently send 12V down the magneto kill wire you will fry the module so it is prudnet to disconnect the magneto kill wire at the engine plug before proceding any further.

The top of the solenoid usually has a light wire attached to the battery feed wire ( hot ) terminal .
This is the feed wire to the mowers electrical system and will go to the B terminal on the ignition switch.
generally there is a fuse in this wire but as you have indicator lights I will assume that the fuse is OK.

The starting circuit generally goes from the ignition switch to the PTO switch to the brake switch to the solenoid
So push your vot meter probes up into the back of the wires on the switch.
The battery wire should be connected to the B terminal on the switch which connects to the S ( starter) terminal on the switch.
Probe & check for this.
If good remove the plug and jump these two terminals on the plug
If bad, pull the switch and find the S terminal and bridge it to the B terminl.
Starter spins every time = bad switch, replace it.

If not folow the S wire to the next switch and look for power coming out of that switch.
It is common for the wire to change colours at every switch but typically it will be yellow, pink or orange.
Carry on n this fashion till you either go mad or find the duff switch. make sure you wiggle the wires ad pull on them a bit to check for a wire broken at the crimp

wildfiglane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have to turn the key on and jump it to get the mower running. I replaced the Starter, Solenoid, Key switch, and a brand new battery. When I turn the key it doesn't do anything. The lights come on and all that but it won't turn over. I've tinkered with it several times and to my surprise once every 30 key turns it might turn over, but I cut my grass by jumping it right now. I have checked and replaced the fuses as well.

Any help would be great.

I had the same problem, it was the wires going to the pto clutch had gotten wet. My fuse looked ok but it was not, barely visible