Tiger Cat Owners: Flat Free Casters Or Not??

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In one of my trucks I had installed a 120 AMP alternator and an inverter, wired both 12 VDC high amps and the 120VAC into one of my trailers and had an air compressor. With this package, I did both mowing and house call servicing.
Since 1996 and just over 4,000 hours of mowing with a number of machines, I've only had 5 or 6 tire punctures, so I guess that I've been fortunate in that regard. I have gone thru 4 clutches on my GTs and one on my ZTRs however. Although I've slowed down, I still have a clutch for my GT and Scag ZTR in stock. I am a one person operation.
I am wondering what has caused so many punctures to you operators???

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
With as many punctures that some of you are speaking about, I think that I would go with the front flat free tires at least. This would reduce the puncture repair time.
I did replace the stock seat on my Scag Tiger Cub with a mid level suspension seat. My Hustler X-ONE is a much heavier machine and has a very comfortable stock seat. As the Hustler is used in a cemetery, the operation of it is slow and tedious going around grave stones and other objects although we have had two front punctures on it since 2012 and 450 hours, both of the punctures were from broken glass. We never know what we will find left there as some of the local low life congregate there for whatever reasons!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I plugged the 1st leak. This plug kit had a much too aggressive tool and the plug leaked. I went out to buy a new plug kit, but only found the same kit, so I bought new tires. These new tires although still rated 2 ply, are stronger and heavier which made them a bear to install. I had intended to buy a plug kit that was better adapted to plug smaller tires, but never did. With seldom use, the rubber cement dries up too soon in these kits. I installed inner tubes on all the tires on my GTs, so plugging them is not an option.
Having the no flat front tires gets the operator away from this type of problem altogether.

There is a big difference between plug kits.
If you are using the type that needs vulcanising cement you have the wrong gear.
Push bike shops and mower shops both sell cold self sealing plug kits.
They are not cheap,
The kit I bought when divided by the number of plugs that came with it works out at $ 8.00 ( Aust) per plug & I charge $20 same as the tyre shops do.
They made plugging car tyres illegal down here about 15 years ago so no tyre shop will do it on a car.

Naturally every car parts chain now sell highly dangerious poor quality plugging kits supposedly for "off road vehicles only " however these will almost never work on a mower because they all require heat that builds up in the tyre to complete the seal. The Puncture proof plugs I use do not need heat or glue or cement and work flawlessly every time but they are expensive.
Then again that is the norm isn't it buy cheap get rubbish.
So if you are looking for a mower plug read the instructions if it tells you to deflate the tyre before plugging or run for X minutes or miles after plugging then put them back & go some where else they will not work reliabily on a mower tyre.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
In one of my trucks I had installed a 120 AMP alternator and an inverter, wired both 12 VDC high amps and the 120VAC into one of my trailers and had an air compressor. With this package, I did both mowing and house call servicing.
Since 1996 and just over 4,000 hours of mowing with a number of machines, I've only had 5 or 6 tire punctures, so I guess that I've been fortunate in that regard. I have gone thru 4 clutches on my GTs and one on my ZTRs however. Although I've slowed down, I still have a clutch for my GT and Scag ZTR in stock. I am a one person operation.
I am wondering what has caused so many punctures to you operators???

We operate under what I would imagine much rougher applications down here. There is everything from pieces of wire to thorns to nails oct in yards many times that you never see.

John R

Threads
We keep an air compressor on the trailer and a plug kit in the tool box. I also put some slime in them as well. I do not think I want the no flat tires. I ran a Turf Tiger Demonstrator with them a few weeks ago and did not like the ride.

We plug tires some times daily at times. I have plugged side walls on them with great success. Front and back in fact.

Going to be hard to get a plug to hold if there's Slime in the tires.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

I plug tires all the time that have slime in them.

John R

Threads
I plug tires all the time that have slime in them.

That's good, I've not had any luck getting a plug to hold if the tires have Slime in them.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads

I plugged one yesterday that has slime in it. It has been plugged before in the same hole. I really need to replace the tire but just keep plugging it. it is a hole at the end of a cut. It now has a total of three plugs in the hole to get it to hold. I would be afraid to guess how many holes in that tire have plugs in them. it is a front tire on a Tiger Cat.

RedWingRider172

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced both fronts on my Scag with flat free - they were about $100 each - I just got tired of airing them up before every cut. I just replaced the fronts on my sons Exmark and found some nice tires online at Northern Tool - got both for $75. It required some modification of the yoke - had to drill them out to accept a larger bolt that was same as bore size of new wheels. Total mods cost about $100 and an hour of my time, but I think it was worth it.

2manyboats

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the terrain I mow with my Tiger Cat, I knocked both front tires off their rims in about 2 hours. Flat free for me- goodbye kidneys...