CMM1000 won't run, charging okay

sasquatch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a CMM-1000 Type 4 which we purchased new about a decade and a half ago. The original batteries gradually degraded and I removed and recycled them several years back. At that time, everything was working fine except for the short run time between charges.

Yesterday, I cleaned the connectors with a wire brush and installed two PowerSonic 18AH batteries. The B&D wallwart charger lit the green LED when plugged in, and the charge on each battery came up approximately 0.3V overnight, so the charging circuit appears okay.

However, when the lockout pin is inserted, the “fuel gauge” meter gives no charge indication and the mover will not start. The motor turns freely by hand and the brushes appear to have about 50% wear left in them.

Could this be caused by corrosion on the switch contacts or perhaps a bad fuse? Any other ideas?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are you getting for voltage at the motor, 24 volts? I see they make a service kit for this mower and had a recall on some of them.

sasquatch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today, I shined up the commutator with some 1500 grit sandpaper.

What are you getting for voltage at the motor, 24 volts? I see they make a service kit for this mower and had a recall on some of them.

26.1V across the batteries.
0V off the 242613-00 circuit board (both at the brushes and on the "fuel gauge" contacts) with the lockout pin in place and the lever in the "start" position.

My next tasks will be to: (1) clean the connections on the circuit board where the battery and motor wires attach to it, and (2) jump straight from the batteries to the motor brushes to confirm it turns. And yes, I've removed the blade for safety.

sasquatch

Forum Newbie
Threads
My next tasks will be to: (1) clean the connections on the circuit board where the battery and motor wires attach to it, and (2) jump straight from the batteries to the motor brushes to confirm it turns.

The switch is okay (checked with an ohm meter where it is soldered to the circuit board).
The fuse is okay (removed and checked with an ohm meter).

Now the bummer ... the motor doesn't turn when connected straight to the battery. So, unless I can find another motor, my repair project has come to an end. I really liked this mower too!

sasquatch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: CMM1000 won't run, charging okay {solved}

It turned out that the PowerSonic batteries were putting out 26V (combined), but not anywhere close to full amperage. With a new set of Duracell Ultra batteries ($120), the mower is now functioning once again. Woo hoo!

china_Twin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is an old thread, but did you send your CMM1000 for the last recall? I am wondering why there are any CMM1000 due to recall issues (recalled and replaced with a CMM1200)

AnnF

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is an old thread, but did you send your CMM1000 for the last recall? I am wondering why there are any CMM1000 due to recall issues (recalled and replaced with a CMM1200)
Recall? Who do I call?