Kohler 20 - Courage - Won't start...already done a few things

DIYyogi

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 20 - Courage - Won't start...already done a few things
hello all!

ive been searching forums left and right today. about 9 hours into this thing so far. heres the story:

i got it a few days ago from my brother who had always had issues with it, so he just hired a lawn guy.
well i load it up and find it was bone dry. so on the way we filled it up with gas (lucky enough to have 91 no ethanol), got home, let the battery charge for about 2-3 hours and tried to start it...nothing.

ok, maybe the battery is dead. hook i up to the wife car (beetle) and after about 10 seconds of spinning she fires in to life!! YES I THINK YES!! no. it died within seconds.

again, this is a Troy Bilt, Bronco riding lawn mower with a Kohler Courage 20 engine.

side track - i get a troy bilt push mower from my dad about a year ago, with the same symptoms. starts then dies. so, i take apart the carb, clean it out, clean the spark plug and fill her with gas...off she goes! and no issues since. so, i says to myself, sounds like the same issue!

as i dismantled the carb on the Riding mower, the gaskets (bowl and carb) just crumble. theres your problem! i says. no. after a quick trip to napa for an O ring of size, no go. spins great when i turn the key. i took off the air filter and i can see it shooting gas. ok, spark plug!! pull it out and test it...VERY weak. head to Napa..get a new one, test it, seems like a stronger spark. put it in andd nothing.

i CAN hear the fuel cut off at the bottom of the carb click on and off when proper battery is applied. and, although it is very controversial, i did try a bit of starter fluid and that did get her into life, all but briefly.

so, what now? i know i need a new battery, but cant i get it started and mow my lawn with out it? i checked the starter solenoid (which i assume is the thing coming right off the battery) and that seems in tip top shape, no corrosion or anything to be noted. i also tried starting the engine with my car battery right at the starter, which did not work. although each time i get plenty of spin, just doesnt want to spark?

i just push mowed a walking path in the back yard and my bones are aching. gotta get this thing fixed, provided it isn't going to cost me as much just to buy a new second hand one!

thank is advance - OH! model number: 13AV60KG011288804

~joseph

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
By using your model number 13AV60KG011 you can locate information from Troy Bilt website. Post all numbers from engine data plate, SV470-SV620. Suggestion: use Kohler OEM parts as well as Troy Bilt parts.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clean your carb
Dirty carb
Down and dirty: youtube.com/watch?v=VBL-BUj0c6E
More technical: youtube.com/watch?v=nAk_WDt3AD8

DIYyogi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did take the carb apart. Found a crumbling seal, the one between the bowl and carb. Replaced it with an O ring and had to use some rtv on the bottom where the fuel stop is; all holds gas no leaks. I can see the fuel come out of the carb where the chocke is while starting when I remove the air filter.

I don't get it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

If you have enough compression and enough fuel ignited at the correct time the mower will start.
So one or more of those 3 is not happening.

Now if it starts and runs for a few minutes when you toss some fuel down the carb throat or spray carb cleaner / starter fluid down the carb throat you can fairly safely rule out spark & timing.
Start it up and give it repeated short shots of starter fluid. If you can keep it running then you car also rule out compression. Don't over do it a minute or two will be fine.
That only leaves you with fuel so you need to verify every thing from the fuel tank through to the inlet valve.
Pull the float bowl off and work the float by hand.
Replace the shut off solenoid with a bowl nut to check that
Try running with a fuel tank ( pinch it off your pushie ) held above the engine thus bypassing the fuel pump filter & tank
Check that the choke is closing fully.