Raptor SD 60" Deck adjusting pin falling out while movwing. Plz Help?

turboawd

Threads
  • / Raptor SD 60" Deck adjusting pin falling out while movwing. Plz Help?
But you see what I mean about the retracted deck? If it's retracted, the pin is flopping loose, regardless of the hole it's in.

You can check at Tractor Supply, they have all sorts of pins, some have latches. A pin with a ball detent would be perfect, but a lucky find.

not really, cause if the ball lines up with the groove, it will back out also.

oh, and on my machine, the pin still backs out even when the deck is not retracted. the bouncing around of the machine causes it to back out.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a good quality 3/16th drill bit (I like Irwin). Mark where to drill the hole and then use a hammer and nail to center punch it. Drill hole put cotter pin in and your done. 15 min fix once you get drill bit.

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a good quality 3/16th drill bit (I like Irwin). Mark where to drill the hole and then use a hammer and nail to center punch it. Drill hole put cotter pin in and your done. 15 min fix once you get drill bit.

That was my wife's idea. I contacted the hustler rep and he is sending me a new pin. If the new pin doesn't fix the issue, drilling and using a cotter pin will be my next move. Thanks.

Dino62

Forum Newbie
Threads
That was my wife's idea. I contacted the hustler rep and he is sending me a new pin. If the new pin doesn't fix the issue, drilling and using a cotter pin will be my next move. Thanks.

The same thing happened to me. The problem for me was that the pin was not inserted all the way thru the second hole. Make sure the pin passes thru the outside hole. Hope that helps

turboawd

Threads
The same thing happened to me. The problem for me was that the pin was not inserted all the way thru the second hole. Make sure the pin passes thru the outside hole. Hope that helps

i cut a lot of rough lots. the pin bounces around and comes out even when fully installed. it would back out constantly, and get lodged down at an angle after pulling back from the far hole.

i bought a new pin that has a cotter pin, from the local farm store. it seems the diameter is 3/8 inch

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
i cut a lot of rough lots. the pin bounces around and comes out even when fully installed. it would back out constantly, and get lodged down at an angle after pulling back from the far hole.

i bought a new pin that has a cotter pin, from the local farm store. it seems the diameter is 3/8 inch

Didn't think of that.
You bought a clevis pin and farm shops generally carry a large range as they always seem to bounce out of 3 pt linkages and you can never find them, till the next time you mow, usually with brand new blades :thumbdown:
If you go that way ge the longest one they have and slip a nut & bolt to limit the depth and give you a handle.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
In drilling..put .pin in vise and just file a small flat where you can more easily prick punch. Try to center the punch tip at the center of the shank on the flat. If prick mark is off try "moving" is by punching again from an angle. Machinist trick with drill press only...with pin in vise balance small steel scale on shaft (horizontal). Come down gently with drill tip (not running) onto scale. If scale deflects off of horizontal move drill vise until this procedure does not deflect the scale off of horizontal. Lock down drill press vise. Should be center.

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads

Okay, this is the update. They sent me a new pin but looks just identical to the original so I didn't even bother to swap it. I went to Wal-mart and got a Bostitch Titanium drill bit size 1/8" and a #3 hitch pin (2.3 mm) I put the pin on a wooden block and held it down with a clamp. I used 1/32 size nail punch with a hammer to make a notch on the pin. Then I drilled a hole through with the drill bit. Very easy took like 30 sec. Bam!! made a hole! filed it around the each ends of the hole to smooth it out. I put it on the mower and then used the hitch pin to hold it in position. Worked great. Let's hope that the hitch pin doesn't break while mowing. lol Thank you all for your help guys. :thumbsup:pin holder.jpg Click on this link for pic.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That looks perfect.