Raptor SD 60" Deck adjusting pin falling out while movwing. Plz Help?

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Raptor SD 60" Deck adjusting pin falling out while movwing. Plz Help?
Hello all,
This is my first post and need your help please.
I just purchased a Hustler Raptor SD 60" to mow around 2.5 acres around my house (first zero turn mower). Mostly flat but small area bit bumpy. I mowed twice already and very pleased with the performance except the deck adjusting pin just falls out after few bumps. It happened to me 3 times already (out of two times I mowed) and I did not realized that happened on the third time and scalped the lawn a little bit because the deck was on the lowest setting when the pin fell out. Very upset about it. I mowed the rest constantly watching the pin. I noticed that as I am mowing, the pin slowing spins and the locking lip is no longer keeping the pin locked in position. Anyone else had this problem? Am I going over the bumps too fast? Would the flex fork fix the problem by reducing the bumpy vibration and therefor keep the pin in the locked position?
Any suggestion would help. Thanks in advance!!
One more question, would the synthetic mobile 1 oil work for this?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If clevis pin has a hole on one end install a cotter key or pin if you will from local hardware store, take clevis pin with you to size up cotter key.

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads
If clevis pin has a hole on one end install a cotter key or pin if you will from local hardware store, take clevis pin with you to size up cotter key.

I agree. That would be the perfect solution but unfortunately no hole.... Why do you think it's falling out to begin with? the Vibration alone?

Ashtonman

Threads
I have this mower and this has never happened to me. The entire weight of the deck is resting on that pin.
The only thing I can think of...is if your deck is set on "A" (i.e. 1.5 inches) and you hit the bumps at top speed. Then you could be lifting the deck off the pin with the rollers hitting the ground. That kind of punishment could cause the pin to bounce around and back out. I can't even imagine how hard you would have to be on mower for that to happen. ?

I would try adjusting the deck up 1" (E or F) or more and see if the still happens.

One other solution is some good old fashion duck tape. ?

Have_Blue

Threads

That would make quick height adjustment even more awkward than it already is. You would have to dismount the mower to change deck height.

I would call Hustler and tell them to send me a pin that will stay in.

Edit: Just went and looked. It's more likely the pin is coming out when the deck is fully retracted, because there is nothing keeping the pin from bouncing around.

A simple work-around is a plain rubber band looped over both ends of the pin.

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would make quick height adjustment even more awkward than it already is. You would have to dismount the mower to change deck height.

I would call Hustler and tell them to send me a pin that will stay in.

Edit: Just went and looked. It's more likely the pin is coming out when the deck is fully retracted, because there is nothing keeping the pin from bouncing around.

A simple work-around is a plain rubber band looped over both ends of the pin.

Hmmmm.... I am mowing at letter G the entire time. I did not even attempted to change the deck height during the mowing. I wonder if I got a bad pin since you guys are pretty much saying that is impossible. I should contact the Hustler. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your replies guys!!

turboawd

Threads
this happened to me all the time.
i ended up just putting a vice grip on the on the end of the pin.
i need to buy a new pin with a clip on the end.

or maybe you could try bending the pin more, so that the weight hanging down prevents it from turning, which is how it backs out.

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads
this happened to me all the time.
i ended up just putting a vice grip on the on the end of the pin.
i need to buy a new pin with a clip on the end.

or maybe you could try bending the pin more, so that the weight hanging down prevents it from turning, which is how it backs out.

I guess I can try that but wonder if it will bend easy...

Have_Blue

Threads
Hmmmm.... I am mowing at letter G the entire time. I did not even attempted to change the deck height during the mowing. I wonder if I got a bad pin since you guys are pretty much saying that is impossible. I should contact the Hustler. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your replies guys!!

But you see what I mean about the retracted deck? If it's retracted, the pin is flopping loose, regardless of the hole it's in.

You can check at Tractor Supply, they have all sorts of pins, some have latches. A pin with a ball detent would be perfect, but a lucky find.

christopherdada

Forum Newbie
Threads
But you see what I mean about the retracted deck? If it's retracted, the pin is flopping loose, regardless of the hole it's in.

You can check at Tractor Supply, they have all sorts of pins, some have latches. A pin with a ball detent would be perfect, but a lucky find.

Yeah, I will look into that. Thanks!