Got to buy a String Trimmer

Rip

Threads
Since my 15 year old Stihl string trimmer got wrapped around an Oak tree this morning it doesn't start anymore. It ran well for several years and then it was having to go to the shop for something all the time.

I finally had all I could take.:confused2: My temper is short in high heat and humidity and I'm not going to spend too much time pulling on and cussing a trimmer.

Looking through Consumer Reports for info on buying a new trimmer I see that although Husqvarna and Stihl are always the highest rated chain saws, the opinions on their trimmers aren't too impressive.

Consumer Reports ranks the Stihls highly but the reviews written by folks like us say that Stihl trimmers continually have carb problems and none of the Husky trimmers are even thought to be good enough to be in the top 10 of gas powered trimmers.

I do see a lot of good reviews on Echo trimmers and think that I'll probably be looking for one as my next trimmer. They are priced about the same as the competiton.

Any advice/experience on Echo Trimmers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rip

rekees

Threads
No opinion on Echo. Before making a decision, check out John Deere trimmers. Had one for 8 years without any problems.

173abn

Threads
can't give you any on the echos ,but I bought an FS90 Sthil bout a month ago.I hate trimming but this makes short work of it.one of my brother in laws used to sell them and he told me that this piticular model uses 4cycle technology in a 2cycle motor.I opted for the handle bar with the controls on it. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Echo straight shaft commercial duty trimmers are absolutely the BEST...
I had several in one of my prior businesses never had any problem with them. Still have one that has to be over 25 years old, I have not used it in years but I am confident that it would start right up.
If they are still made anything like they were... you can't beat Echo.:smile: KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea KennyV has it about right. I use the Echo SRM 210 for 2 years and do 44 lawns on a weekly basis and have never had a problem, the Echo is a great piece of equipment. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Natureboy

Threads
Echo straight shaft. 8 years of service and still going.

matts420

Forum Newbie
Threads
Echo makes a excellent product. Check out the CARB rating vs the other brands. Old John Deere trimmers where made by Echo----350G 450G 240G etc. Still using these timmers.

Berniep

Threads
Echo SRM. Very heavy use bordering on abuse. 8 years no problems.

Slade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forget Echo -- buy another Stihl.

Bought a 100 last month, what an awesome machine.

God knows why the little lady keeps firing our landscapers, but I end up maintaining a lush 5 acre front yard and Stihl (trimmer, hedger, blower, and chain saw) make it possible for an out of shape 55 y/o along with a little help from a Kubota BX2360.

Berniep

Threads
Forget Echo?
Why?
Got any personal experience to report?