Raptor 54sd ..or..fastrac 54? Which one?

kraky

Threads
I have a 3 Yr old kaw powered sd 54 w/110 hours. It's really more than I need for my three quarter acre lawn but I sure like it. It cuts really nice with Gator blades underneath it but the deck packs up a little bit. ... and I'm a big guy and pretty cramped on it. And I also have a couple of hills and the SD 54 slides pretty easy.
I looked at the new 2016s at my local dealer and there's $2,000 difference between the SD 54 and the fast track. The Kohler engine in the SD 54 seems okay but I still like my Kawasaki. The new seat on the sd54 seems roomier and is much more comfortable.
I pretty much like everything I see in the Fast Track. Will the deck stay cleaner with the bigger opening? It feels like it has better traction but it weighs 200 pounds more and I'm a little worried because on one part of my lawn and it's pretty soft.
So has anybody put some time in on these.... is there any difference in Cut quality.
I enjoyed my toys and can afford either one but I wonder how bad I really need a $6,000 mower...lol!

LeakyGasket

Threads
I just got a Fastrak SD 54 and I love it. I can't give you a comparison as I have nothing to compare it to except a couple of riding tractor mowers. Never been in the mud or overly wet ground -- always mow when grass is dry.

It looks like a golf course when done. Real flat and smooth. Stock blades. I have one road cut that is steep and I back up then go down the opposite direction. Lots of power. The deck seems to load up with glued on grass, but I have NEVER cleaned out any deck before, so don't know if it is a lot of loading. Doesn't matter, as I jack it up after every use and wash it out.

I also considered the Raptor SD, but since I could afford it, and not getting any younger, I paid the difference and am happy.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just got a Fastrak SD 54 and I love it. I can't give you a comparison as I have nothing to compare it to except a couple of riding tractor mowers. Never been in the mud or overly wet ground -- always mow when grass is dry.

It looks like a golf course when done. Real flat and smooth. Stock blades. I have one road cut that is steep and I back up then go down the opposite direction. Lots of power. The deck seems to load up with glued on grass, but I have NEVER cleaned out any deck before, so don't know if it is a lot of loading. Doesn't matter, as I jack it up after every use and wash it out.

I also considered the Raptor SD, but since I could afford it, and not getting any younger, I paid the difference and am happy.

Do not run water under the desk if your mower is still hot from mowing. Cold water will make everything cool down fast and suck water into your spindles and cause early death for your bearings. After you clean the deck with water move mower to dry spot and run blades for 10 minutes or so to dry the underside of deck.