which lawn mower to buy?

supaflyz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

I'm a new member here. Can you guys recommend me which mower to buy. I really don't know much about lawn mower. My last one was a honda harmony. I forgot the exact number. it cost around $500 including tax when I got it. I bought it around 2003 when I bought my house. I have about 1/2 acre. It has took a lot of beating. It is still running, but the deck is rusting and one of the wires came off. It lasted about 13 years, pretty good I say. My family has always use Honda. I'm having a hard decision on which one to pick the HRX217HYA or HRX217K5VKA. Should I stick with Honda or try husqvarna or toro?

primerbulb120

Threads
Hey guys,

I'm a new member here. Can you guys recommend me which mower to buy. I really don't know much about lawn mower. My last one was a honda harmony. I forgot the exact number. it cost around $500 including tax when I got it. I bought it around 2003 when I bought my house. I have about 1/2 acre. It has took a lot of beating. It is still running, but the deck is rusting and one of the wires came off. It lasted about 13 years, pretty good I say. My family has always use Honda. I'm having a hard decision on which one to pick the HRX217HYA or HRX217K5VKA. Should I stick with Honda or try husqvarna or toro?

Stick with Honda, they're the best out there. :thumbsup:

Both of the mowers you listed are good ones. Just keep in mind that the HRX217HYA has more features, thus there are more things that could break. The HRX217K5VKA is probably just fine for the amount of mowing you have to do. Ultimately the decision is up to you.

supaflyz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stick with Honda, they're the best out there. :thumbsup:

Both of the mowers you listed are good ones. Just keep in mind that the HRX217HYA has more features, thus there are more things that could break. The HRX217K5VKA is probably just fine for the amount of mowing you have to do. Ultimately the decision is up to you.

I know that the vka is the lowest price one they have that comes with the nexite deck. Is the dexite deck really rust resistant? If I want the hya I have to order it. There is none in any home depot within 50 miles of me unless I go to a small shop. They do have some of the vka in store though and I have a 10 percent off which makes it around $560 for it. You think the HRX217K5VKA will be ok?

primerbulb120

Threads
I think either one will be great. :thumbsup:

Read this review: lawnmowerforum.com/honda-forum/16238-review-my-honda-hrx217hya.html

Keep in mind that the author of this review is a lawn care professional and uses his mower every day. If the HRX217HYA is good for him, it's probably overkill for you.

I still think either mower will serve you well. I don't think you really need the extra features of the HRX217HYA, but if you want them, that's fine. :smile:

JBrzoz00

Threads
I got an HYA a few weeks ago, it's kick ***. Have only used it once so far and going from a bare bones push mower to this machine. Know there will be a small learning curve. Had some good rain last week and I'm excited to see how it does on thicker than normal grass.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro guy saying "Don't buy until you at least take a close look at Toro model 20381". It will make you decision harder, because it is a great mower with a 5 year warranty on the entire unit.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys,

You can buy the Hondas and there a good mower. If you like the Honda engine you can buy the Toro PP with the Honda engine probably cheaper and it's probably just as good and will mow as good as either of the Hondas. Personally I'd find a mower with a Kawasaki FJ180V engine, it's an all purpose heavy duty engine with the oil filter. You may want to read the following post or review from another Honda owner

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/37056-Disappointed-with-HRX217HYA

primerbulb120

Threads
If you like the Honda engine you can buy the Toro PP with the Honda engine probably cheaper
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/37056-Disappointed-with-HRX217HYA

The Honda powered Toro is cheaper, but there's a reason for that. It's a LOT less mower than the Honda, mostly because we are comparing a $650 Toro to an $830 Honda. (Prices are MSRP.) To be fair to the Toro, let's compare it to a $579 Honda. The Honda still wins, even though it's $70 cheaper. The Honda has BBC and Clip Director, both of which the Toro does not. And on top of that, the Honda has a superior drive system.

Which mower is a better deal?

If you want a review from a satisfied owner of 3 Hondas to match the negative one posted earlier, read this thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/16238-Review-of-my-Honda-HRX217HYA

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Primer, before your make statements about Toro mowers, please get your facts straight. Toro model 20383 and 20373 are the BBC models which have been around longer than Honda's. Model 20372, 20373 and 20374 all have a type of chip director system. So don't say Toro's don't have them. On top of that the drive systems on both mowers are good, only the owners say theirs is better. I can tell you from experience the the Toro system is much easier to work on. I believe Toro is better, you believe in Honda, just don't make statements which are not true, because this will make the rest of your comments unreliable and questionable. Oh by the way, Toro model 20382 has a Honda engine, which is the same as the one on many of the higher end Honda mowers. Let the OP make his choice based on facts, not on others individual likes. That's why I just suggested that he take a close look at Toro, which makes a quality unit at a far less price tag, plus in some cases better warranty.

stljay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just agonized over the decision. I started out with a Honda in mind but did some research and looked extensively at both the Toro Super Recycler and the Honda HRX series. Both are great mowers. But after handling both, the Toro won me over, specifically the 20382 which is the Toro Super Recycler with the Honda engine. After already using it a few times I remain convinced I made the right decision. The Personal Pace is really easy to use and I find it works really well, different than self propel with dedicated speeds but easy nonetheless. It's light and easy to maneuver. Testing in the showroom, the Toro rolls much better and is much easier to pull back and just feels less cumbersome. Even in the showroom, all the Honda's, regardless of how speed is controlled, had a heavier drag pulling backwards. Also look underneath the deck of the HRX series. The blade comes nowhere close to the actual edge of the mower due to structural reinforcements that appear to be designed to keep the deck from hitting the blade should you bump up against something. The Toro blade is just a few millimeters from the aluminum deck. You can probably get by without trimming every time with the Toro if need be, less likely with the Honda which will force you to leave a strip of grass no matter how close you mow to the edge of something. You most likely will get better overall vacuum from the Toro since the blade sits right next to the deck edge, creating more suction. The Toro also comes with other cutting features to improve mulching and having tested both find it does an excellent job on either. Honda has the double blade, while Toro has the kickers and clipping accelerator. Honda engine and Toro features equals win win in my book. Something else for you to to think about. Mine does not have the BBC but the Honda engine pulls really easy and unless I have engine problems I don't see missing it. No other mower I've had has it. Mine retailed for $650 and it's been on sale for $550 which is $50 less than the least expensive HRX also now on sale for $599. You can't go wrong but you should check out the Toro Super Recycler series also. I know it only has the Honda 160 but it seems more than powerful enough for thick grass and my sloping back yard.