5 h.p. Tecumseh

deck~dragger

Threads
This engine is on a Craftsman push weed trimmer. I need a carb and Sears has them listed at $66. Was not wanting to spend that much on an old wheel trimmer, plus it needs some other parts.
I see some cheaper carbs on ebay that are going by the LEV--- #. I looked and can not find that number on the engine other than what's on the shroud-
Model/143.995002 Family/WTPXS.1851BA.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=640262a+carburetor&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=40677988476&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2935194005365813229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6z1rjm3txm_b

$16.90 on amazon.

primerbulb120

Threads
ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-for-Tecumseh-640173-640174-640262-640262A-26-79-w-gasket-Carb-/301923528004?hash=item464c0b6d44:g:bgoAAOSwJQdXCFbh&vxp=mtr

$14.65 and free shipping on eBay.

deck~dragger

Threads
Thanks for the reply's, got an OEM for $26 online. You know I have not used this trimmer for about 8 years and had been thinking about scrapping it but saw some of the repairs on the forum so decided to get it running again. That and new ones are listed at around $300 at Sears. This evening took off the shroud and tank preparing for when the carb arrives.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take lots of pictures so you can put it back together. Clean out the gas tank and filters so you don't have this happen again.

deck~dragger

Threads
Take lots of pictures so you can put it back together. Clean out the gas tank and filters so you don't have this happen again.

Good idea with the camera, I will need to take a pic of the linkage and springs on top of carb. When last used, which was years ago, I ran the tank dry (or ran out of gas), anyway was dry. The rubber fuel line and other lines from carb are dry rotted and primer bulb was hard so figured the diaphragm was shot too.
Was a little worried about the coil, so cleaned the dirt daubers and stink bugs out of the flywheel this evening, pulled the plug and spun the flywheel and have spark!
A question about the carburetor when I get it- I won't take the old carb off till the new one comes, I suppose the new one will need to be tuned after installing. If someone would go over that, would be appreciated. The carb model 640069. Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are buying exact replacement just install and go. Replace the fuel line and filters.

deck~dragger

Threads
Thanks Blaz and Primer, installed the new carb this evening, engine runs like it did when new, even a smooth idle. The new carb had the red tube (carb vent?) one of the regulated carbs I suppose. It does not seem to run as high of RPMs that it used too, but again had been years since it ran, not sure. Had fun with it this evening, sure works better that a hand held trimmer for reaching up under large shrubs and trees with low branches. Thanks for the suggestion of taking pictures, made it really easy when reattaching the linkages to the carb. I tried to upload some of the images, not quite used to windows 9, said image size too large, changed size, no luck.
They may not be as popular but I like the old Tecumseh's, they can be cranky at times although I find them easy to work on. One more mower saved from the scrap heap, wish I had found this site earlier:thumbsup:

the.doc

Threads
I've got the exact same Craftsman trimmer on wheels.

If you'd email me the pictures, I think I can post them. And I'd probably find them useful. I'm looking to replace the carburetor on mine soon.

thanks

the.doc

Threads
To amplify on my last post here:

Given the prices I'm seeing for aftermarket replacement carburetors, I think I'll start by getting a whole new one. The main thing now is to be sure that I order one that will work on this machine. There are so many model numbers, and Craftsman didn't put any of the Tecumseh numbers anywhere, and cross-reference pages for that are hard to find online right now, and they don't always seem to agree.

I'll be back when I find some more and actually have a question.