Bolens Riding Mower Wont Run/Turns over Crank Fine

aksplace

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bolens Riding Mower Wont Run/Turns over Crank Fine
I have a Bolens by MTD 15.5-HP Manual 38" Cut Lawn Tractor
and it ran well earlier today but now cannot get it to start. I have tried new battery, checked fuse its fine, cleaned the filter but nothing seems to get it to run but turns over crank fine..

Reason my ride on mower died to begin with is the following: I hit the reverse button with break/clutch in but forgot to switch the gear to reverse from forward.. Once I started releasing break/clutch i heard a loud popping sound like a shotgun a few times and then the mower died (has not started since)

After pulling hood and watching it spin and visualizing the motor area when I'm attempting to start right after it pops I see a micro spark of electricity near a pipe up front. Down on my luck can't afford to buy a push lawnmower yet this one.. Any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your model number is 13AM762F765, manuals & parts available on MTD website. Check spark plug wire for being bad after disconnecting from spark plug, look for torn rubber. Fuse may look good visually but may still be bad, if you have a 12 volt test light you can check both sides of fuse. Check engine oil level, fresh gas, compression, spark & air are needed for engine to run. Check all safety switches & wiring. Adjust valves with engine cold per engine manual specs. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

Michael_G

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Bolens by MTD 15.5-HP Manual 38" Cut Lawn Tractor
and it ran well earlier today but now cannot get it to start. I have tried new battery, checked fuse its fine, cleaned the filter but nothing seems to get it to run but turns over crank fine..

Reason my ride on mower died to begin with is the following: I hit the reverse button with break/clutch in but forgot to switch the gear to reverse from forward.. Once I started releasing break/clutch i heard a loud popping sound like a shotgun a few times and then the mower died (has not started since)

After pulling hood and watching it spin and visualizing the motor area when I'm attempting to start right after it pops I see a micro spark of electricity near a pipe up front. Down on my luck can't afford to buy a push lawnmower yet this one.. Any ideas?

Since the engine is spinning, the brake and pto safety switches are working. Like the previous poster said, check the spark plug wire.
remove the spark plug wire and inspect check the boot as well. remove the spark and see if the electrode broke off.
if you have spark and the plug is good, then it probably a mechanical issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the cover of the engine.
Follow the small ( kill ) wire from the ciol to the joiner ( usually behind the starter motor) and disconnect it .
Try & start the mower.
If it starts then you have a problem with the safety switches or ignition switch or the reverse relay.
Do not use the mower like this because you can not stop it without the wire connected.