Greenworks electric mower won't start.

ShadyPine

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't afford a new mower and my neighbors are giving me the stink eye. Help?

I have a Greenworks 25213 120v 13A electric mower (corded, not battery) and it won't start. I tried/tested multiple outlets and cords, tried pulling up the pull-handle cable tighter ... nothing. Total silence when I press the ON button.

Googling reveals others with similar issues, but they have a symptom I don't — tripping the breaker when trying to turn it on. It's solved by replacing the rectifier, but my mower isn't tripping a breaker, so does that prove the rectifier isn't the source of the problem? Thoughts?

It worked fine for the whole summer last year, using the same outlet/cord that don't work now. (Cord still works fine with my weed wacker.) It was stored in my shed all winter in New England, could the cold destroy something?

So. What diagnostic step is after confirming all the visible cords are in perfect shape and power is fine? Swearing at it hasn't worked.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The rectifier is changing the AC voltage to DC voltage. So what is the DC voltage going to the motor? If you don't own a multi-voltmeter you can pick one up ay Harbor Freight to make these test with for less then 10 dollars.

primerbulb120

Threads
If you can't afford a new mower and you need to mow now, buy a used one off Craigslist. Then fix the one you have to use as a backup.

Pluvrr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you get this fixed? I have the exact same problem. I originally bought the 20" Greenworks corded mower and it failed like you described above within 2 uses. I called Greenworks and they stated it is probably defective and it would be easiest to ship it back to Amazon. I shipped it back to Amazon. I then bought a 21" Greenworks corded from Target online (with a protection plan) back in August. After the summer I stored it and now I pull it out in February and sure enough, doesn't start. It also doesn't trip the breaker as described in other self-help videos replacing the rectifier.

It is still under warranty so I'm calling Greenworks and I'll probably have to pay shipping to get it fixed. Fortunately the protection plan will reimburse me for shipping but it is still a pain. Once it is fixed I will let you know what they discovered. Whether it is the rectifier or not.

Pluvrr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the solution. I was an idiot. There is nothing wrong with the Greenworks mowers. It is counter intuitive but it is the way they are started. You have to hold down the bar completely first and hold it down. While holding the bar down you then push the start button. Otherwise it won't start.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found the solution. I was an idiot. There is nothing wrong with the Greenworks mowers. It is counter intuitive but it is the way they are started. You have to hold down the bar completely first and hold it down. While holding the bar down you then push the start button. Otherwise it won't start.

Wasn't that tidbit of information in your OWNER'S GUIDE ..?? YOU DID get one .... DIDN'T YOU ..??