Shady Dealer?

Mission

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I dropped my fs 74 for a tuneup. It had been running alright(bogging a bit), but I left gas in it over the winter and figured it was time for a service. My dealer said that they replaced plug and fuel filter(I had replaced last year and had less than an hour of use), but it wouldn't fire up for them. Which is strange because I had it fire up on the old gas after two pulls before dropping it off. They looked at cylinder and said it is scored and offered to sell me a new one and recycle it for me. I asked what the compression was and they said that they don't check compression, just a visual inspection of the cylinder either through intake or exhaust. Should I be finding a new dealer? Seems a bit shady to me. Any opinions?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
New dealer. Don't let them know you are coming to get it just show up and pay diag fee and take your stuff and lesson learned.

Mission

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Not very happy. Was running when I dropped it off, now nothing....

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get your mower and run from that dealer. Just how do you inspect a cylinder through the intake or exhaust? I never heard such a BS story. How nice of them to recycle your old mower? resell it? I don't know what why will charge you but its a complete rip off what ever it will be. A :thumbdown: on that dealer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NAME THE DEALER
The only way to get rid of this sort behaviour is to name and shame.
A lot of posters here work for reputable dealers and object to having public perceptions of dealers diminished.
Just remember the defamation laes apply to what you post as much as to what you print so make sure the facts are correct.

And no I am a independant repair workshop.

As to your equipment.
When a custome brings one in the get told to "show me".
Got caught once too often with a piece of kit that was buggered and the owner tried to claim I had damaged it during service.
when I get one in the owner can not start I don't even try to start it .
First off there is about 10 minutes worth of tests that will tell me if the unit is worth repairing.
If it fails it goes back to the owner ( no charge)
If it passes then another 10 minutes worth of test which includes trying to start

primerbulb120

Threads
New dealer. Don't let them know you are coming to get it just show up and pay diag fee and take your stuff and lesson learned.

I completely agree with this. Get it back from the dealer ASAP! :thumbsup:

You could take it to another dealer, or you could fix it yourself with the help of us here at LMF... :smile:

Mission

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it back. $45 later. While I was there, they were offering to recycle another person's equipment. I won't shame the dealer quite yet.

I should have fixed it myself, but I needed it for the weekend and I just didn't have the time.

Didn't notice until I got home that they had removed the new plug and fuel filter they had installed(at least they didn't charge me for it), but they never gave me the basically new old ones back. Did compression test - 110psi. I may have misspoke earlier, I guess they told me on the phone the piston was scored, not the cylinder. They did show me through the exhaust where the piston was scored. Should it still run, or does it need a top end? Are parts still available for the fs74? I will find the old plug and filter that I replaced and see if it will fire up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no profit from most hand held repairs.
The "Glass Fronts" down here use the workshop as an aid to the sales department.
If they are a member of a big group then they are obliged to destroy the gear they have "recycled" as the aim is to sell as much new gear as possible.

If you want your gear fixed, pick a shop that does not sell new gear or at least has a smaller showroom than service room.

primerbulb120

Threads
Got it back. $45 later. While I was there, they were offering to recycle another person's equipment. I won't shame the dealer quite yet.

I should have fixed it myself, but I needed it for the weekend and I just didn't have the time.

Didn't notice until I got home that they had removed the new plug and fuel filter they had installed(at least they didn't charge me for it), but they never gave me the basically new old ones back. Did compression test - 110psi. I may have misspoke earlier, I guess they told me on the phone the piston was scored, not the cylinder. They did show me through the exhaust where the piston was scored. Should it still run, or does it need a top end? Are parts still available for the fs74? I will find the old plug and filter that I replaced and see if it will fire up.

I don't know how an engine can have 110 psi of compression with a scored anything. Post a picture of the scoring so we can see it, it's most likely not a problem with the kind of compression you've got.

Mission

Forum Newbie
Threads
FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgI think I have attached the photo of the piston.

I am ready to shame the dealer now - Prospect Equipment in Mission, BC. It is there policy to not repair anything that has scoring, as it might only last a few minutes and they may look bad. But, charging $45 for doing nothing and when I brought it home and put the old plug in it fired on the first pull. I guess in their opinion that doesn't make them look bad. I had the choke on when I did the compression test, compression is actually 115psi.

It still isn't running great, I think the carb needs cleaning, which is what I took it to them in the first place for. Are there any links to cleaning the carb, or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks again guys. Wish I would've found this site first.