Just picked up a Hr 214 And Had a Few Questions.Any Help Is Appreciated......

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Just picked up a Hr 214 And Had a Few Questions.Any Help Is Appreciated......
As stated in the title, Today i just picked up a Hr 214 from Craigslist for $60 and it looked like it was in pretty good shape..Its is the SM model that has electric start. It Started right up by hand (electric start didn't work), Self propel seemed to work nicely and cutting blades engaged fine.. The guy i bought it from had it for a year and he purchased it from the neighbor behind him who had owned it since it was new.

When i got it home i looked at the air filter. It was missing the foam and the rest of the filter was filthy.. I cleaned the entire filter housing and i need a new filter.. I went to a couple local hardware stores and had no luck on the filter. Maybe because of the age of this machine i will have to get a filter elsewhere.. any recommendation where to get one would be great.. The plug was black, which i changed. im guessing it was black because it was getting no air through the filter.

I drained the oil which was definitely needed. im going to use Penzoil 10/40. Im going to do a double oil change ..

The blade was in tuff shape and had a couple pieces broken off it which i removed to be replace also.

So, this mower did come with the bag on it. Can i remove the bag and make this a mulching mower? Buy a mulching Blade? Or is/was there some kind of a kit with a plug? I did see on eBay that someone sells a side discharge chute for this mover, not sure if that will work for mulching though.

I'm also interested in getting the electric start working if its worth it? Is there a battery? The mower didn't come with the charger.

Here is a couple photos of the mower.. Any info would be great TY..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Just picked up a Hr 214 And Had a Few Questions.Any Help Is Appreciated......
Both Stens & Rotary make an aftermarket filter for your mower and the original Honda item is still listed.
Honda make their engines very well and contine to support them for a very long time.

Just be carefull as there are 2 variations of the filter.
One is open topped and the other is closed top.
Both come foam as standard.

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ty bert, didn't realize they had open and closed top filter. I will double check the one I removed.I also looked up the part number from honda.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a few resources for the new Honda owner:

Shop Manuals; available in paper format only, direct from Honda via eBay or Amazon (free shipping).:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Digital Owners Manuals (free):
Honda Lawn Mower Owner's Manuals

Official Parts Look-Up Page:
Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Look-up
This is a look-up-only site; use it to get the correct part number(s), then either Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use the next link to find your local dealer...FYI, many online sellers have significant "shipping and handling" charges, vs. your local dealer just getting the sales tax. So it can be less costly to buy local vs. online.

Find a Honda Dealer
Find A Honda Dealer Near You

Avoid the #1 Mower Service Problem:
Avoiding Fuel-Related Problems

FAQs:
Honda Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Honda Customer Relations: Can't get an issue resolved with your local dealer? Need more help, or just have a question?
Honda Customer Relations
4900 Marconi Drive
Alpharetta, GA 30005
(770) 497-6400 M-F 8:30-5:00 EST

Drop me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some "I " My Honda" stickers.

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert.. Great links ...Just ordered the air filter from a local Honda dealer nearby..

javjacob

Threads
That is a very nice looking mower! You don't see too many of the older models around in that good of condition.

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Jacob.. It does seem to be in pretty good shape.. So, i just replaced the carburetor, changed the plug, new air cleaner. Started right up, no more smoke at startup.. I have a couple questions though.

1. The adjustment for low and high idle does not seem to do much. If i put the lever a bit past high (almost to the choke position) It idles faster.. Also i think my idle is a little low due to the mower almost stalling when engaging the blade..

2. I hear or i think i do, a grinding noise when its running. sounds like a bad bearing.. I saw in the roto stop , there looks like there is a bearing in one of the plates in the assembly.. Could this bearing be worn out? Is this something that does go? Im guessing it is.. I have a manual that will be here in a couple days to help me with some of these things.

3. Is there a way to change the transmission oil? Or at least check it..

The motor seems to run great and im pretty happy so far. I also got a mulching plug for it which works nicely.. Any info would be great .. Thanks!!

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the bad bearing on the bottom Clutch Plate. Its toast..So i just ordered a new one

The clutch disk is worn to about 2.8MM thickness.. It did engage the blade but i read somewhere that is should be at least 4.6mm? Should i replace it while im in there? And is there anything else i should replace while i have the roto stop apart? My manual wont be here til Tuesday but id like to order one today if possible...

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would replace while I was in there.

ChuckD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I kind of figured that Blaz. Im going to replace it . im looking for one now..