Repairs Exmark Lazer Z Advantage 48" with Kohler 20 starting problem

Cemetery Dale

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Lazer Z Advantage 48" with Kohler 20 starting problem
I couldn't read the numerous post to learn if this issue has been discussed previously so forgive me if it has. I'm a newly to this site. As the subject implies, I just started having starting issues. One day, the mower operates as it was just purchased with no issues. The next time I wanted to use it, the key turns and nothing. The battery was very old so I purchased and installed a new battery. Tried it again, same thing. I kept switching the key on and off and after about six times, the starter engaged and acted perfectly. No issues with performance. Of course, my first guess is the ignition switch as when it works, it works great. It is just the on and off of the key to get it to start. Am I on the right track?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Because they are exposed the electrical system and in particular on zero turns takes a beating.
Clean up the electrical connections and in particular the ground wires.
I paint them over with liquid electrical tape.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possibly, first check all connections at backside of switch for being tight & secure, as well as all connections ground cables & straps, including seat safety switch located under seat.

Cemetery Dale

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestions. After I sent the question, I tried it again but sadly it wouldn't do anything. I did notice that the relay beside the battery is clicking when I try to start it. If the rain will hold off here, I'll be in the yard cleaning connectors and will keep all informed.

Cemetery Dale

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I had replied as to the outcome of my problem. I was going to surf in this forum and found that I have not responded. Grrrr I am delighted to report that my starting issue has been resolved. To make a long story short, the specific action that resolved this problem was simply a shot of WD-40 into the ignition switch key opening. I worked the key back and forth and after about 2 times, my mower started. I tried it again hours later and she started on first attempt. The next day, she started without issues. Who would have thought it was a simple fix,...this time. Thanks for all the years of brain power and experience in this forum.

I couldn't read the numerous post to learn if this issue has been discussed previously so forgive me if it has. I'm a newly to this site. As the subject implies, I just started having starting issues. One day, the mower operates as it was just purchased with no issues. The next time I wanted to use it, the key turns and nothing. The battery was very old so I purchased and installed a new battery. Tried it again, same thing. I kept switching the key on and off and after about six times, the starter engaged and acted perfectly. No issues with performance. Of course, my first guess is the ignition switch as when it works, it works great. It is just the on and off of the key to get it to start. Am I on the right track?