23yr old Honda Harmony 215 rebuild or replace?

mrntd

Forum Newbie
Threads
My reliable Harmony seems a little tired. The deck and the other parts are all still okay. But the engine is using oil and vibrates like crazy. It actually shakes less when the blades are spinning. It's having trouble with tallish grass too.
I had the carb clean up a couple of years ago and they did some other maintenance also. I also think the blade brake clutch material is gone. The mower was the gxv140 motor that is rated the same as the new gcv160 only the new one isn't commercial grade.

I really like the blade brake system so that limits the choices of new machines. The replacement for the Harmony is $700, a little expensive, and no longer has the commercial grade motor. I love the fact that I never have to worry about the deck rusting and it stays pretty clean.

I was also looking at the Toro 20376. It has an aluminum deck, blade brake and a 5 year warranty. The Toro txp engine seems to be the old Honda gxv design and has more power.

Is it possible to rebuild the Harmony? Will it cost just about as much as a new mower? What do the experts think?

Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you talk about a rebuild it all depends. Are you going to do your own work and how far are you going with the rebuild. Yes I can see it costing as much or more then a new mower.

primerbulb120

Threads
I would go with a new Honda, either an HRR216VYA or an HRX217VYA.

FYI, the Toro TXP engine is made by Loncin, a Chinese manufacturer. I think it's similar to the Honda, but not the same.

javjacob

Threads
I have a 1996 Honda Harmony HRM215 that was suffering the same thing as you. It was getting lower and lower on power and would stall easily in tall grass. I thought the motor was about wore out. I tried cleaning the carb good too thinking maybe that would help but it didn't. I then bought a new OEM Honda carb which only cost $35 and now it runs like new with full power again. The old carb was just wore out and was robbing power from the engine.

mrntd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1996 Honda Harmony HRM215 that was suffering the same thing as you. It was getting lower and lower on power and would stall easily in tall grass. I thought the motor was about wore out. I tried cleaning the carb good too thinking maybe that would help but it didn't. I then bought a new OEM Honda carb which only cost $35 and now it runs like new with full power again. The old carb was just wore out and was robbing power from the engine.

That's a good idea. It would give it the power back. I think the shaking could be the crank. Has anyone heard of issues with this? Or could it be bearings and the block?

Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think 35 dollars for a carburetor is a very good price, can't rebuild one for that kind of money. Now if the mower has a bent crankshaft that can't be good. Then you could be getting into bearing and block.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shaking is nerly always from the crank or from the blade.
A bent blade will cause a lot of shaking.
And :welcome:

javjacob

Threads
I highly doubt the crank or anything internal is bad. If the crank or crank bearings were causing the vibration it would continue to do it with the blades engaged I would think?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
He also said it was using oil. So that could mean a cylinder bore job and piston. A 23 year old mower is not worthy it unless he has his own equipment to do this type of work?

mrntd

Forum Newbie
Threads
The shaking is less when the blade is engaged.

I can tear down the motor and replace parts. But I don't have the equipment to rebore it. So if the cylinder it gone that would mean a new case. If one can still be had and if the price isn't prohibitive.

Any other ideas on the shaking? I think I'll tear it down to check before buying the new carb.

Thanks again for the input.