hustler raptor 42

rausch42

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a hustler raptor 42 last year and added the mulching kit and it strips between the 2 blades everytime I mow. It also doesn't clean out under the deck until I hit the end of every row. Ive tried lowering the deck, raising the deck. going at a crawl and going faster nothing seems to help. I've even tried to replace the blades with gator g6 blades and nothing. It also doesn't cut very good where the front tires push down the grass in front of the deck. I am really getting frustrated with it to the point of looking for a different mower. I hate having to mow my whole yard 2 times every time I mow.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could be waiting to long in between cuts.
I run the gator blades but side discharge.
Running a mulch kit does not work if the grass is tall or wet.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the mulch kit off. But keep the g6 blades. Try it one time.

rausch42

Forum Newbie
Threads
and use the side discharge? if I do that it looks like I have a big windrow

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That mower with g6 blades should throw grass 6 feet away from the mower.
Are you running the mower at full throttle?

DJ660

Threads
Make sure engine is 3600 rpm. Level deck side to side and 1\4 low front to back pitch of deck. Try it. If no good, try slowly raising front of deck a little bit at a time until it cuts how you like it. Mulch kits throw a wrench in the airflow under the deck and sometimes can be corrected with deck pitch adjustments. Then again mulching thick wet grass doesn't matter what you do or what brand you have, will never work.

kraky

Threads
Not sure what kind of grass your handling but up here in Wisconsin if you try to go below two and a half inches mulching you'll have a real mess. You just wont to get enough air flow under the deck to grind things up and hold clippings up. And A good rule of thumb to follow is not much more than one third of your grass height in a cutting.
About a year ago I actually saw a YouTube of a custom cutter who had a mulch kit under a 42 Raptor and he was really happy with it.... he said he used it on his small tight little lawn jobs.