Ferris IS 700Z... STRONG VIBRATION AT IDLE

stealurfish22

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi all... Is it normal for the tensioner to really vibrate and bounce around at idle? My machine only has 1 hour on it. When I run it at full throttle, the vibration goes away... But at half to low throttle the machine is really vibrating.... Ps... I do NOT have the PTO on when it's vibrating. I have the kawasaki 23hp engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds new. Take it to the dealer who sold it to you. If you can't I'm sure someone will respond. Sounds like a V. My intek does vibrate inherent in the V design. Are both cylinders hitting at low rpm?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

No the tensioner vibrates because something is preventing the pulleys running freely so the ( push) side of the belt runs very slack, then whatever is jambing things up so the belt runs tight,
This causes the tensioner to dance.
If the mower has sat for a long time there can be a bit of a set in the belt which will go away with a bit of use

Take the belt off and spin everything by hand.

they should spin freely smoothly and silently.
A bent blade will also do this at low speeds

while the belt is off, check it for damage and check it for a smooth shape.

stealurfish22

Forum Newbie
Threads
How hard is it to get the belt off? Is it something a novice can do?

Ps... Many thanks for the help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is a new mower I strongly advise taking it back to the dealer if it is not something simple like a loose bolt or debris under the blades.
To remove the belt, pull the tensioning arm against the spring and roll the belt of the easiest to access pulley.
Some tensioning arms will have a 1/2" square hole for a breaker bar.
Some like to use a ratchet tie down to pull the tensioning arm back.
Also grab the engine and see if you can rotate it as they mounting bolts could be loose.

stealurfish22

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dealer is coming down Monday to put on a new belt.... Hopefully it's an easy fix!

Thanks for all the advice and help.