Motor turns, then hesitates, turns then hesitates

slowink

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought this lawnman riding mower, the owner said it had carb problems but when I go to start it, it turns then hesitates and does this over and over again. i have taken the plug out and it wings over without hesitation. I put the plug in without connecting the plug wire and it turns over and hesitates. What-s up with this thing???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want help we heed to know what we are helping you with.
You can see, hear, smell & touch it.
We have nothing more than what is on the screen to work with.
We need to know the model numbers of both the mower & the engine and the brand wouldn't hurt either

As luck would have it you are experiencing a very common problem with mowers that have neve seen a workshop.

Adjust the valve lash.
It has worn and the valves have too much clearence

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert you are saying with the valves opening late compression is present longer ,making it hard to turn over

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert you are saying with the valves opening late compression is present longer ,making it hard to turn over

Errr yes.
Well sort of.
His engine is not decompressing so you get a lumpy rotation from the starter as it gets to compression and very slowly either overcomes it or it leaks out through rings or badly sealing valves.

Next to a hydraulic lock the most common "won't start" problem I see down here.
Particularly as it is 20km to the nearest mower shop, they charge $ 75 to pick up , another $ 75 for delivery.
Most of the residents here are shinny bums working in the city 80 km away in fairly senior management positions , thus they can afford to live on 1 - 5 acres.
Obviously as they are managers any idiot can "service" a mower so they do their own thus a lot of things that are servicable get replaced and things that require adjustments never get any.
I made a big mistake when I first opened up by adjusting the valve lash while they waited, charging 1/2 labour + a gasket after they had spen $ 500 replacing every thing in the starting circuit.
This apparently hurt their egos and they never came back.
Now I hold on to the mower for at least a week, make out like it is an insurmountable problem, give the mower a good going over, a nice wash sometimes a bit of polish the send it back with a 2 hour labour charge and they think I am a genius.
The trades people OTOH get shown how to do it and appreciate the fast turn around and $ 30 bill.

slowink

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought this lawnman riding mower, the owner said it had carb problems but when I go to start it, it turns then hesitates and does this over and over again. i have taken the plug out and it wings over without hesitation. I put the plug in without connecting the plug wire and it turns over and hesitates. What-s up with this thing???

It is a Yard Machines by MTD.OEM -190-063.
With a Tecumseh Enduro 13 HP 38" cut Model 13A4662F129 Serial 15221H10334.

So you don't think it's carburation?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It may have a carb problem, but you need to start it first to check the carb.
The only carb problem that affects the way the engine cranks is a leaking float that fill up the cylinder so you get a hydraulic lock.
However with a hydraulic lock if the engine gets past the first compression it blows all of the fuel out the exhaust and then turns over normally.

Very important only change or fix 1 problem at a time.

slowink

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may have a carb problem, but you need to start it first to check the carb.
The only carb problem that affects the way the engine cranks is a leaking float that fill up the cylinder so you get a hydraulic lock.
However with a hydraulic lock if the engine gets past the first compression it blows all of the fuel out the exhaust and then turns over normally.

Very important only change or fix 1 problem at a time.

Managed to get it started after a long period on the battery charger. It cranked fast enough to start. It started, ran for about twenty seconds then died and started the same engine turns, then hiccups then turns and hiccups, wouldn't start again. I
put it on the charger over night tried to start it, but it turns over kind of hard and won't ignite. Where do I go from here?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where you were told to go in the first place.
Adjust the valve lash.
One thing at a time.
Do the mechanical bits first, they are easy and will affect every thing else.
Once it spins fast enough to fire then we can look at the carb

Alternatively you can join the magic circle group and try waving a magic wand over the engine , naked, under the light of a full moon :laughing:

slowink

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where you were told to go in the first place.
Adjust the valve lash.
One thing at a time.
Do the mechanical bits first, they are easy and will affect every thing else.
Once it spins fast enough to fire then we can look at the carb

Alternatively you can join the magic circle group and try waving a magic wand over the engine , naked, under the light of a full moon :laughing:

I have already done that and living in Arizona, I got a sliver in my foot, and a sunburn on my Johnson.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert, Tell us more about the tractor dance. Does it require an Australian aborigine horn on a string which is whirred around in the air, making a humming sound? If so you should consider marketing them here in the US. :smile: