Snapper hivac?s/opinions

JBrzoz00

Threads
I've considered a Honda but from what I've read the snappers move quicker than most other self propelled residential mowers.

I like the fact the drive system isn't under the deck on the snapper as well.

Snapperfreak

Threads
True. The drive system on the snapper is definitely less complicated than Honda. Not sure about speed, if the new snappers are the same as old as far as that goes though then high speed is pretty darn fast.

JBrzoz00

Threads
I've read entirely too much about mowers and probably should have just picked one but I'm deciding between the Honda hrx217 and a hi vac. I usually mulch but was planning on bagging in the fall for the leaves.

I don't know if this makes a difference but all the really nice yards I see, the grass is bagged.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Lots of opinions about mulching vs bagging. As long as the grass isn't too tall mulching is supposed to be better as it recirculates the nutrients in the grass and any fertilizer back into the grass. If only mulched a handful of times, usually just bag and never noticed a much difference but maybe if I mulched more often (and had better grass) I would. That being said, if I were to buy a new mower today the only one I'd get is the Honda HRX217HYA. With the adjustment between bagging and mulching, Honda quality, roto-stop blade clutch, and on and on its much better than the snappers out there today for the money. The snapper drive system is simpler but if u spend a bunch of money on a mower it's assumed it will be well taken care of and give u years of problem free service provided the normal maintenance is performed.

Snapperfreak

Threads
The HYA has the blade clutch and hydrostatic drive. The VKA has select-drive and no blade clutch. Don't know much about the select drive but the handle controls are different. VKA is about $600, HYA about $750. Same engines just some minor differences.