stihl fs 56 causing forearm to break-out (rash on forearm)

mark66

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / stihl fs 56 causing forearm to break-out (rash on forearm)
hi, I have a fs 56r (I believe that is what it is) with a loop handle that I have used for the last 2-3 years. lately I have been breaking out on my forearm every time I use it. it is where my arm rests against the body of the trimmer while using. my question is ... is the housing made of fiberglass or plastic? thanks in advance for any information on this.

primerbulb120

Threads
That's an unusual problem to have! I have had my arm shocked before from leaning up against the trimmer, but I haven't ever had a rash.

I think the Stihl housings are made of plastic. Maybe the vibrations from the engine are irritating your arm?

mark66

Forum Newbie
Threads
the area where I get the rash is where my arm rests against the housing which is at or near the spark plug. when it first started I thought it was shocking me, that is what it feels like while I'm using it, but afterwards it is a baseball sized rash and stings like it has fiberglass or something embedded in my arm. it goes away in a day or two. I thought the housing was plastic. thanks for your imput

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It can be shocking you if the outer housing is dirty enough it'll carry an electrical current. Clean that baby really well. If you have a leather glove put it over the spark plug area next time you use it. That will narrown it down.

primerbulb120

Threads
It can be shocking you if the outer housing is dirty enough it'll carry an electrical current. Clean that baby really well. If you have a leather glove put it over the spark plug area next time you use it. That will narrown it down.

Good point. I once had (well, actually still have) a Toro trimmer that occasionally shocked me while I used it. One day it grounded the ignition coil through my arm instead of through the stop switch and shut down. I haven't used it since. :laughing: